BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ZONE AREA'S

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'VE BEEN CALCULATING THE AREA OF ROOMS BASED ON THE ZONE STAMPS...BUT I JUST REALIZED THAT IF I STRETCH A ZONE TO FIT A ROOM THAT MIGHT HAVE CHANGED SIZE, THE AREA ON THE ZONE STAMP DOES NOT CHANGE..GIVING ME THE WRONG SQUARE FOOTAGE. IS THERE A WAY TO MAKE SURE ALL THE AREA NOTES ON THE ZONE STAMP UPDATE WHEN I RESIZE THE ZONE?
19 REPLIES 19
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Design > Update Zones. You must do it manually.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have tried updating my zones and changing the Zone identifier, but all my Zones still show 0.00 square footage...
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
siteline wrote:
I have tried updating my zones and changing the Zone identifier, but all my Zones still show 0.00 square footage...
If you show the background color of the Zone, does it show that there is acutally an area for the zone? And not really just a very tiny area?

Another thought: in the Area Calculation panel of the Zone Settings Dialog, make sure that the reason is not because the Zone Area was reduced. It can be reduced because of Fills set to be subtracted from the Zone, because the Zone Height is too low or the area of the zone is set to be reduced by 100%.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply.

No, I'm working with the background colors on. The correct square footage for each zone shows up in the Zones Selection Setting dialog and there is no reduction.

It's a mystery...
Erika Epstein
Booster
Link wrote:
Design > Update Zones. You must do it manually.

Cheers,
Link.

And stop shouting.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
siteline wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

No, I'm working with the background colors on. The correct square footage for each zone shows up in the Zones Selection Setting dialog and there is no reduction.

It's a mystery...
Could you post screenshots of the Zone Settings Dialog (particularly the Zone Stamp and Area Calculation panels) with the buggy Zone selected, plus a screenshot of where the area is zero? Is it zero in a schedule or where?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
What happens if you select the misbehaving zone and then open the 'Element Information' palette? ('Window' menu > 'Palettes' > 'Element info') Are there any measurements obviously incorrect?

Check you haven't got any minute gaps in the boundary walls, or walls whose reference lines do not meet as these can also confuse zones.

What does the zone look like in 3d? It can look fine in 2d but still be incorrect in the 3d window. Look in the 'filter elements in 3d' dialog box to make them visible in the 3d window.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I finally figured it out.

My Zone default height was 8" and my "Zones" in the Project Preferences had values checked in the "Area Reduction under low ceiling" boxes. As I raised the height in the zones I found the area increasing when I updated, which tpiied me off when I saw in the zone's Selection Settings that the area was being automatically subtracted.

I feel like a knucklehead, but I appreciate all of your help and I hope it helps someone else.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a method to visualize 3 decimal figures and not 2 in the "RAI?"

example : not "R.A.I. 0,14" but "R.A.I. 0,137"

Thanks for the help

Fabio
Learn and get certified!