Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

IFC, Complex Profiles, SEOs and Gridlines

NandoMogollon
Advocate
Hi all,

I'm starting the hard self-learning process of interchanging Models trough IFC, and I would like to use your expertise on getting ahead of this problems:

1. I have experienced unexpected results with complex profiles, once we save the IFC we check it with Solibri model viewer, and 80% of the "profiled" elements are showing wrong sizes or even the wrong profile.

2. Some of the SEOs are missed.

3. I have not been able to save the Gridlines

Do you know if ther is a generic problem with IFC? or is it just a handicap from ArchiCAD in translating the SEOs and Profiles? or is it something wrong with the settings we are applying?

I would really appreciate your help.

Nando

Regards
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
At least one complex profile coming in to SMC from AC13 overruns the mitered corners. See attached file with two images.
Erika Epstein
Booster
You will have to redo the profiles O.H., or if sometimes they are ok, then a duplicate one, O.H.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
I tested the Solid Element Operations with the latest IFC2x3 patch (AC130R1_IFC_2x3_64134_WIN.zip). ArchiCAD doesn't put SEOs into IFC yet. With empty openings it is possible to do some kind of SEOs that are exported to IFC.

The corner cutting of complex profile walls and beams are also missing from IFC export. Cutting them using SEOs do not help, because CEOs are not exported. If you can map the beam or wall as object and then in IFC settings select export object as BREP it might work.

I can tell that currently grid lines are not show in Solibri. Maybe in near future, because grids are supported in IFC.

If you want to see ArhiCAD SEOs in Solibri Model Checker, use the ArhiCAD plugin that Solibri provides. Solibri is releasing the plugin for ArchiCAD 13 this week.

- Matti