BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Hanger tool/add-on for MEP elements

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there any addon available that will allow me to hang MEP elements either from the slab above and along vertical walls? It will be good if we would be able to specify the distance from the slab/wall, slope (of pipes) etc. Right now all these elements are just hanging in the air.

I did try to use a library part from ACE library, but it is too much work to keep it "synched" to the elements especially when they need to be re routed or moved.

BTW, Vico claims to have this in their MEP module and that, I believe, is based on Archicad!
5 REPLIES 5
Erika Epstein
Booster
If I understand you correctly, there is no way when placing and/or routing MEP elements and systems for them to be associated with another AC element such as a vertical wall. However, as when placing any element in AC you can be setting distances from another element. You can also be changing slope on the fly etc. Have you reviewed the MEP tutorials ?here?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply Erika. I understand the logic about associating with other AC element. However, it would be nice to be able to have this functionality.

Thanks
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Just to reflect on your "wish": yes, it would be nice, even more so since this intelligence is there within ArchiCAD.
Currently one could do it in a workaround way by making the subtype of these elements to be a Door or Window type since you can place a Door or Window only into a Wall.
I am only saying this to illustrate that ArchiCAD already has the intelligence to be able to find and snap to surfaces of other elements.

The other example of this is the Gravity feature where you can place elements to the top surface of Slabs, Roofs and Meshes.
Why not have an "anti-gravity" feature which snaps elements to the bottom surface of Slabs or Roofs or Beams or any surface for that matter.

So maybe the solution would be the extension of the Gravity feature, only you would not call it gravity. Certain element types could only be placed onto Walls or onto bottom surfaces of Slabs or whatever.
I would love to see such a feature in a future version.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Erika Epstein
Booster
Laszlo,
"anti-gravity" I love it. Why don't you start a wish?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Here it is:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=30907