Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Mathematical and calculating problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have problem about calculating area. So can anybody help me, guess I'm not so good in mathematics I have area of 1215,0 square meters, and i need to divide it on 5 equal parts, and I don't know how. It means that every part has area 243 square meters, but I font know side chains of a polygon Dimensions are on the pic...Help if anyone knows
10 REPLIES 10
Erika Epstein
Booster
Set your snap points so there are 5 divisions. This will equally divide each side of the rectangle. Then connect the snap points from the left side with a line to its corresponding snap point on the right side. The lines will look like your drawing. The resultant 5 areas will be equal in size.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika thank you for trying to help...This looks like easy job but it isn't. Off course that I tryied with snapping but it means that I'm connecting just two opposite lines (divided in 5 equal pieces) But I don't get equal area... cause two shorter sides are different...please try yourself and see result..it takes a minute..
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not sure that works Erika - the top edge isn't square which makes room 1 too small.

It's one of those problems where there are an infinite number of solutions, but finding any of them mathematiclly is fiendishly complex! The easiest solution I'd say is trial and error.

To reduce complexity make the divisions between the rooms horizontal. Start with room 1, draw a fill, then with the fill area text shown, repeatedly stretch the base using the 'offset edge' button in the pet palette in ever-reducing increments down to the nearest mm until the area displays correctly. Draw the next fill using this boundary as the starting point and repeat.

As a hint, I believe room 1 should be 18.084m long. The rest shouldn't take you longer than 10mins to work out using this method!

Hope that helps!
Erika Epstein
Booster
Actually, Peter, it does work. If you had bothered to try it you would have found this out.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Anonymous
Not applicable
The areas are definitely not equal using that method. See the attached.
Dwight
Newcomer
The shape also tapers down to the top, therefore the discrepancy.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
This shape is not a rectangle or a symetrical parallelogram.

I don't think there is a mathematical theorem to solve this situation. Too much possibilities.
You will have to experiment tial and errors.

Step 1 : Draw the first fill, following Erika's advice (divisions).
Step 2 : With the pet pallet, extend the fill to the desired area by trial and error (result = total area divded by 5).
Step 3 : Once done, do it again for next step.

Attached some possibilities.

Cheers,
Olivier
Erika Epstein
Booster

Lots of egg on my face.

I hadn't realized there were no 2 parallel sides.
Sorry for snapping at you Peter.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Anonymous
Not applicable
No problem. I'm sorry I didn't explain my reasoning more clearly to avoid any confusion.

Please feel free to snap away if it helps!