Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Freeform 3D design tools kit

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think Archicad is quite rigid now. It needs a 3D toolskit like Vectorworks' one. We need the tools loft surface, shell solid, chamfer edge, project, Nurbs Surfaces or the basic primitives but not as gsm objects rather but objects with the same treatment as Walls, Slabs or Windows...

Sorry if my english is not totaly right. I hope you understand what I meant.
14 REPLIES 14
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You can vote in your own poll!
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
haha, thank you, I didn't know.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree completly. I understand all the arguments about how little "Blobitecture" actually gets built and that those that are usually get broken into planar surfaces anyway. I also understand that Graphisoft has to please the larger firms first. On the other hand, AC is starting to seem rather old and it seems users are loosing confidence in Graphisoft's abality to keep this software up to date . We have 64 bits, we have multicore support and team work 2 is great. It's time for version 14 to have some new free form massing tools! I believe (hope) this is in the works. If not I may give up hope.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I hope Graphisoft could keep us up to date about his intentions for the next version and what are they working on. I understand they have to pay attention to commercial strategies and they can't reveal all their plans because of their rivals. Anyway, I'm tired of waiting for these freeform features every new version. I think it's time to clarify if Archicad will have these new features someday.
Anonymous
Not applicable
There is another post on this site about a recent interview with the CEO of Graphisoft. This interview really gives me confidence that thay are not "asleep at the wheel". It talks about the fact that they worked on TW2 for 2.5 years before this release and how much restructuring of the AC database that this required. This leades me to believe that there are other parts of the database and code structure that have also been updated in this process. My gut feeling is thet Graphisoft is aware of the need for an update to the geometrical limitations of the database and are working on it. I think we will see progress soon.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is a big issue - and not just about "blob" architecture.
But there are so many fundamentals that need an overhaul it is a question of whether GS has the capacity to deliver it.
If we get a 'hack' on top of the existing engine, I would think that is a death knell for the program. Visual gdl toolsets have been quite buggy and limited to date. Unfortunately for GS user expectation is now extremely high regarding expectations of 3d modellers:
- robust toolsets
- intuative interface eg "push-pull" from sketchup
- reliable operations (i.e. SEOs) that update the appearance of the modelled object in all views (including 2d - plan!!!!)
- relationships (this is a biggie! Visually building parametric relationships e.g. revit families or rhino grasshopper). Sure we might not want to link things as far as revit has - but I have plenty of occasions I'd love to build relationships between elements..
- the ability to reliably export these geometries (so for example IFCs reflect SEO operations!)
I could go on but it'll have to wait till the holidays...suffice to say this is such a huge job I will continue to advocate the vectorworks approach of licensing other tool sets (in that case Siemens parametric engine) - albiet with a caveat it is integrated completely, not poorly (eg Lightworks)

Unfortunately unlike the previous post I have learned by experience "reading between the lines" is a dangerous game and usually leads to disappointment....
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Mark. Very interesting. These are great news. I suppose Gsft had to do a great effort for getting TW2. Gsft is a little company if we compare to Autodesk, and TW2 means a great technologic jump. My fear is that they consider C4D plugin or Archiforma enough for solving free form modelling. Customers have been asking for that for a long time ago and we never got an answer. It's very good if the CEO says that they are working on it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
joteroar be warned - Mark has made a comment that does not appear in the interview - it is just a guess ("gut feeling") on his part.
He may well be right, but we will have to wait and see...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, I know. I haven't read the interview but a gut feeling is better than nothing. I will wait for news impatiently.
In the other hand it's very interesting what you say about vectorworks. It's an app I'm comparing to AC since four years approximately. I think its evolution is really great and it is responding so well to the architectural needs nowadays.