Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

UK BIM Standard launches - forgets that ArchiCAD exists

Anonymous
Not applicable
So today I read that the AEC (UK) Standards Committee today announced the Phase 1 release of its new BIM Standard documents with accompanying content libraries, however ...
A number of content libraries are currently being prepared for use by companies and individuals to aid in the implementation of a BIM-enabled workflow and standards based on AEC (UK) guidelines and best practices. Initially this includes Autodesk Revit and Bentley Building products. Expanded as and when further involvement is possible... Content libraries will be made available through the aec-uk.org website.
Where is Graphisoft when these kinds of things are being discussed??

(if you are not signed up on Linkedin you can see the original blog post here)
43 REPLIES 43
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bricklyne wrote:
And it's really not the users responsibility to market or advertise the product on GS's behalf especially when that marketing cost is already encapsulated in their exorbitant licensing fees. And most resellers (who typically sell Autodesk and Bentley products side-by-side to ArchiCAD) cannot be expected to have any greater loyalty to one of their suppliers at the cost of other suppliers or products. The same goes with product support and not just marketing. Maybe like you allude to, and like Finch in 'Just Shoot Me', GS are so convinced they have such an amazing product, that they don't really have to work on selling it as much as they do on developing it since it will presumably sell itself.
yes i wish the people running Graphisoft would go and read a book by Seth Godin....
they started this whole BIM thing, but sadly they seem to be falling behind. AC is a great product.
On this forum they have approx. 30,000 happy customers, & what do they do with them?....nothing.

It's going to take more than some Google adwords, for them to get any more market share. Maybe it's time for their marketing department to do something innovative?

IDEA:
i dare someone from GS management to join this thread & turn it into a discussion of ideas/ways for them to gain market share in the UK! (engage us!)
But i bet they don't, instead they won't do anything & this will turn into yet another GS rant...
(I know Alan is here, which is great. I wish there were more GS people, as pro active as him!)
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is happening in Canada as well.

I recently replied to an email sent to me about the very same thing happening in Canada: so I went out on a limb and replied back to this fellow (he happens to be part of the Canada BIM Council) that ArchiCAD needs to get airplay if the RAIC is going to talk BIM, as this fellow advises the RAIC on BIM in Canada. Or are we going to have professional bodies doing the marketing for the software companies?

So I ended up demanding that ArchiCAD be maintained as a term of reference in any RAIC documents or presentations on BIM. So hey, even if Graphisoft isn't marketing AC, I'm here for you guys

Now, the UK BIM standard is quite thin on the interoperability question, and it's one that remains, as IFC doesn't seem to becoming a standard. So users need to demand that IFC be THE standard for coordination of projects, AND Graphisoft needs to discover their inner b!tch and start taking this fight a bit more seriously. They seem like a passive bunch, no?
owen
Newcomer
well i don't know what to say - a Revit user is sticking up for Graphisofts interests and they don't/won't ....

We all value your contributions from the other side of the pitch Wes (and I guess there is probably a little bit of self-interest in your efforts too - after all, interoperability is in everyones interests in the long run)
HeadInTheSand.gif
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am very much persona non grata at Autodesk. I am merely bringing balance to the Force

ArchiCAD should have owned the world at BIM. And they ceded it in mere years to some upstart company from Boston who started off selling vapourware. Now it's a mature product being marketed by zombies... "Must... dominate... world... all... competitors... must... die"

Anyone need a heavy pan? WHACK!

Battling the forces of unmitigated corporate hubris is now part of my role in life. Interoperability is in EVERYONE'S best interest, or else we'll all end up using only Autodesk software. Very uncool.
Anonymous
Not applicable
good on you metanoia!
Djordje
Ace
metanoia wrote:
Battling the forces of unmitigated corporate hubris is now part of my role in life. Interoperability is in EVERYONE'S best interest, or else we'll all end up using only Autodesk software. Very uncool.
What, someone besides Autodesk makes design software?

The general perception is HORRENDOUS. Interoperability and software neutral BIM are the only way - but, for EACH phase his own. In Architecture, ArchiCAD definitely leads the way ... and that fact is known only to those who stumbled upon ArchiCAD are are enjoying it.

Keep on, Wes!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
As long as we ArchiCad users don't get locked out of the construction business (been there with Autocad dominance for more than 20 years and always managed to comply), being an ArchiCad user could mean we maintain the edge over all other (former Autocad, now Revit) users.

That's not necessarily bad.
Let them have the inferior product, and dream empty dreams of world domination 😉
Djordje
Ace
Krippahl wrote:
As long as we ArchiCad users don't get locked out of the construction business (been there with Autocad dominance for more than 20 years and always managed to comply), being an ArchiCad user could mean we maintain the edge over all other (former Autocad, now Revit) users.

That's not necessarily bad.
Let them have the inferior product, and dream empty dreams of world domination 😉
Agreed fully.

However, if the perception of BIM=Revit, that DOES exist, is not removed at the regulatory bodies level, what can we do? A tender comes out and specifies Revit instead of BIM/IFC? What do you do? The guys who wrote it probably know absolutely nothing about the actual state of the industry, a lobbyist did his job of promoting a PRODUCT, not a TECHNOLOGY or a SYSTEM.

That is the problem, as is the habit of long time users and Graphisoft in general of NOT letting the world know and enjoying the cocoon of niche perfection. We know that ours is the best - do the others know?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
A tender comes out and specifies Revit instead of BIM/IFC? What do you do?
I expect we will have .rvt export capabilities then, as with .dwg for all this years.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Krippahl wrote:
I expect we will have .rvt export capabilities then, as with .dwg for all this years.
I don't know about that.
It seems to me that Autodesk is trying to take total control of DWG. They may do the same with RVT.
If only Autodesk software can read-write RVT and it becomes some kind of a standard then everyone will be forced to use Autodesk software.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27