Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Garden Wall with Gooseneck Profile

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm working on a garden wall per attached photo. Used SEO so far. I need to create a stone wall coping wall cap contoured to this wall profile As you can see I've used a bunch of roofs and cylinders. I'm dreading having to cut the top and bottom of the cap. Ideas?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Snap
12 REPLIES 12
Dwight
Newcomer
A two part answer:

the basic wall:

a complex profile made as a beam, because beams tilt without distortion. foundation and upstand all in one.

The goofy top trim bits: I'd also make these as a complex profile and stick them on top. These go ACROSS the beams.
beam goof.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Making the beams translucent to show the merging of parts.
Dwight Atkinson
Srinivas
Booster
Dwight replied to your question while I was preparing the screenshots, you should look for complex profiles for this job.
ArchiCAD Services
ArchiCAD since v9 to latest
iMac, Windows 10
vistasp
Advisor
You'll never be as quick as Dwight, Srinivas. See his avatar constantly flexing the arms? At more than 50,000 repetitions a day the muscles are so highly developed, there's no way the rest of us can catch him!
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Dwight and Srinivas for the very prompt answers. Dwight's two part solution fits well for the coping stone in both curve and the fact that wall changes slope with grade.
Snap
Dwight
Newcomer
vistasp wrote:
You'll never be as quick as Dwight, Srinivas. See his avatar constantly flexing the arms? At more than 50,000 repetitions a day the muscles are so highly developed, there's no way the rest of us can catch him!
And, to remind newer members as to the meaning of that avatar: that is me doing a modern tai chi move of my own invention. You might know the Asian art of tai chi for serenity, strength and focus. Tai chi moves have names like "Part the wild horse's mane" and "Fair lady moves the shuttles."

I made this modern tai chi move after being frustrated with instructions from the boss. It is called "Architect explains the concept."
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
More coping issues:

OK, the original question was how do I make the coping. Per the photo's I've already made the wall. Very nice suggestions on the wall by the way. Here's what happened when I made a profile to go over wall that has been SEO'd. See attached. I tried to use the new coping profile as an SEO operator, but that is a non starter.

Also look at the bullnosed post cap, can I profile the forward edge of the coping to have a nice bullnose (or other) shape? The coping is a cast concrete "limestone".

(Edit) I should mention I have dozens of these wall segments to make only a very few are on level terrain, so putting all these separate pieces to make one wall seems.... inelegant. Well time is wasting so I am making the entire wall out of complex profiles as "beams", of course the plan drawing will have to faked with 2d linework to get the beam to show up as a wall, whew!

Snap
Stone-coping cap.jpg
Dwight
Newcomer
Relative priority numbers cause touching elements to cut. Increase the priority of the cut element to stop that.

In your case, even though you've only asked for the coping, an efficient solution would use the complex profile to make coping AND wall at once, stopping at the part you call gooseneck. Make the columns include the gooseneck part using my prior method of a cross piece complex profile.

This will modularize and simplify the job.

Any complex profile can bullnose. As for a "cap," I would make it a four sided complex profile from a wall extrusion.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight, do you ever sleep?
Thanks for the reply, yes the post cap is exactly what you describe.
I am in progress on making the wall entirely of profiles; 4 count for each wall segment (1 wall+base, 2 wall ends, +1coping).
Thanks again for your time,
Snap
(edit) PS For anyone following this: once the priority level of the beam is raised, SEO works like a charm. RE-EDIT, of course I still can't angle the beam profile along its width, oh well.

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!