Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

AC 10, OS X 10.3.9, QuickTime Pro 7.5, App won’t launch.

Anonymous
Not applicable
ArchiCAD Environment

Sorry, ArchiCAD cannot run on this computer.

Problem: QuickTime is outdated or missing.

ArchiCAD requires QuickTime 4.0 or later, image compressors and
decompressors.
Make sure you have QuickTime installed with the "Recommended"
option chosen at installation and not with the minimal option selected.
Uninstall QT then reinstall it with the recommended option selected.
That kind of solution hasn’t worked since OS 9.

I would like to know what QuickTime components, compressors and decompressors exactly ArchiCAD 10 is looking for at start-up, so I can fix this.

Thank you.
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Right. Nobody knows how to actually fix this bug, do they? Graphisoft have, what? 100 people? on the ArchiCAD team, and none of them could be bothered to make version 10 compatible with either QuickTime 7.4 or 7.5 for Panther?

Anyone else run into this problem, there is a workaround posted here: http://archicadwiki.com/Bugs/QuickTime%207.4%20vs%20MacOS%2010.3

It involves using Pacifist to manually install QT 7.3.1 over your existing QuickTime installation. Bit of a kludge if you ask me, and I really don’t like having to downgrade essential system components, but it does work, you have to give them that.

Interestingly enough, the article also suggests you can run AC11 on Panther, which contradicts the official system requirements. I haven’t tested that.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Daidalos wrote:
Right. Nobody knows how to actually fix this bug, do they? Graphisoft have, what? 100 people? on the ArchiCAD team, and none of them could be bothered to make version 10 compatible with either QuickTime 7.4 or 7.5 for Panther?
I have used ArchiCAD 10 on Panther (10.3), but that was a long time ago. Panther is now 6 years old and I don't think it's reasonable to expect anyone to have quick answers to problems with legacy systems.

I'm currently using everything from ArchiCAD 7 to 13 on Snow Leopard (10.6.2). Have you considered upgrading your software, at least to Tiger (10.4) or preferably Leopard (10.5)? It's probably a lot cheaper than the time you might spend trying to keep an old system running.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
It’s not really that old, not if you consider the version updates that have been released since.

10.3.9 was released on April 15, 2005 and Apple have continued to release security updates up until last year. QuickTime for Panther has been updated twice since version 7.3.1, with a final update, 7.5, on June 10, 2008. Apple consider the QT 7.4 and 7.5 updates to be important bugfixes. So do I. 10.3.9 with QuickTime 7.5 is a pretty fast and mature system.

That ArchiCAD error message is indicative of an OS 9 mentality. The last version of QuickTime that runs in OS 9, version 6.0.3, was released on January 29, 2005.

It seems to me as though Graphisoft released ArchiCAD 10 PPC in the summer of 2006 and immediately forgot about it. They didn’t have to, they could have taken a hint from Apple and kept up with them in terms of development. Would have been nice.

As for upgrading to Tiger or Leopard, I do not really feel the need at the moment. I might get a MacBook Air or some successor to it in a year or two, but for the moment, my admittedly old system (G4 Sawtooth, maxed out memory, 2005 1.2GHz Sonnet processor, 21" Studio Display) runs so well under Panther that I’d suffer a performance hit if I upgraded to Tiger or Leopard.

Thanks anyway, I know you mean well.