Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Fix the most anoying thing in AC (Save as path)

Lot of people write about the AC icons change between versions - but the icons are less annoying than NOT REMEMBERING FILE PATH on "save as" command...
Why the heck?...all other software I use does remember the path - AC is only one that does not.

So do we need the remembering path of the file by AC?

Best Regards,
Piotr

EDIT: it is PC and MAC issue (I checked with my friend)

IMPORTANT. AC does not remember the path of file opened by double-clik, it does of course when opened from "Open" command - but who opens files that stupid way...
15 REPLIES 15
Gorazd
Booster
And while you are correcting this, please make AC also remember Save As format from 3D window. It always changes back to Photoshop image. It works in 2D window, so it shouldn't be so hard.
------

Gorazd Rajh

AC 25, Ryzen 9 5900HS, 48 GB RAM, RTX 3080, Win 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would suggest that all dialogboxes start in the same directory as the current planfile is. Many agencies have directory structures based on projectnumbers. So all saved files need to be saved near the project file in subfolders, for instance IFC, Images, PDF etc.
Wokka
Contributor
If I'm doing a saveas from the 3D window I don't want it go to the same directory, but it would be better if it remembered the last place you save a file with the same extension. As Gorazd mentioned, it should remember the last extension you saved as.
Another similar one is open a file. Why do we need to see pln's, pla's and bpn files? 99.9% of the time I want to open a pln. I once accidently picked the bpn, saved it over the real pln and lost a few hours work. I know it was stupid and I should have read the warning, but I don't think it is necessary. Whilst I'm on a role, can the bpn's be saved automatically somewhere else for safe keeping?

Cheers

oops ,must vote..
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
Wokka wrote:
If I'm doing a saveas from the 3D window I don't want it go to the same directory, but it would be better if it remembered the last place you save a file with the same extension.
But of course such thing must be saved with project - not globally for extension!!!

Lack of this "path remembering" i most visible if You work on couple of different projects - and when saving as You are put to the path of different project - easy way to make Yourself a mess.

Best Regards,
Piotr
Anonymous
Not applicable
One of my biggest bugbears using a MAC.

I write a letter to my bank, and save it as /PERSONAL/BANK

Then I open a PLN, need to save a version, do a save as.

Where does MAC want to save it? You've guessed it: /PERSONAL/BANK !!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Essential!
Last week I worked on a 3D model for 3ds export to Max - and it was terrible! Every time I had to save as 3ds I had to adjust all the seetings from scratch!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I know it's no substitute for a builtin AC solution to the problem, but here's a solution (for Windows XP users) that might help:

Dlgxrsizer v4.6.1 for WIndows XP
It's free, and adds quick-access, global and application-specific folder and file history lists to open/save dialogs.
It also remembers sizing and positioning of dialogs, on a per application basis.

It's a bit old (the author discontinued development and basically gave it away, after initially being shareware), and I can only seem to find an old version on the web:

Dlgxrsizer

I have the latest here, v4.6.1, so I can email it to you, if you let me know where to send it.
Dwight
Newcomer
I know it's no substitute for a built-in solution to the problem, but here's a solution (for MicMac users) that helps:

Default Folder

It has many uses but mostly tracks recent and just used folders.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
This has varied over the years and by operating system. I don't think it is just a GS issue as it has worked better and worse with OS 9, OS 10, NT, XP, etc. There was a time on the Mac when ArchiCAD would remember file paths for each file type (2D or 3D).

It would be nice if the Windows side were better behaved and the 3D default reverting to Photoshop is definitely annoying.