Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Experience with Stairbuilder

Erich
Contributor
OK, as I become disillusioned with ArchiCAD stairs, I have a question along similar lines to Don Lee's post about ArchiStair http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=29795

What are folk's experience with Stairbuilder from Cadimage? Can it handle a traditional stair with volutes and goose necks, etc? What do you find its limitations to be? What do you like about it?
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable
lec1212 wrote:
What do you "gdl-gurus" think of retooling the curtain wall tool to be a structural stair tool?
Not much. The Curtain Wall core functions are not available to GDL and I don't think adding custom panel types would work very well.

Besides, at least in my practice, it is important that assemblies be correctly identified in IFC export. This is one reason I would dearly would like a ceiling tool (besides having something better than slabs and roofs cobbled together with library parts).

What we need is either a proper assembly type tool like the curtain wall tool developed by GS or some improvements to the API to make it easier for third parties to better integrate into the program.
lec1212 wrote:
What do you "gdl-gurus" think of retooling the curtain wall tool to be a structural stair tool?

Why not just have Graphisoft fix the actual basic Stair Tool rather than forcing users to 'McGuyver' or jerry-rig other tools like the Curtain wall tool, or having GDL-gurus try to re-tool it to do what GS can't make their own Stair tool do?

You know, kinda like how users have been persistently asking them to do in the Wishlist sections and in these very forums, since, oh, 5 or 6 versions ago?

The fact that one is forced to have to resort to gdl-gurus or other such WORK-AROUND's to get ArchiCAD to do the most basic design tasks is a rather damning indictment in and of itself.