BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

3D Model Pricing

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anyone point me in the right direction on places where I can find information on correct pricing for 3D models?

My job surveys existing structures and develops a 3D model for firms to use for renovations, additions etc. The problem is, the higher ups that are quoting pricing for the job are stumped on what to charge. We usually severely under price a job and it just hurts us in the long run.

I am trying to educate myself so I can in turn educate them on what proper pricing or ball park figures would be for large undertakings so they won't charge the 2D CAD prices they are familiar with.

Links, articles, books, experience? Any of these and a direction would be helpful.

Thanks
17 REPLIES 17
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
BDC you are on the watch list... stop trolling this forum...
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rob wrote:
BDC you are on the watch list... stop trolling this forum...
LOL...Well Im on everybodies watch list
without fear or favour ;>)
and you are watching me thru those goggles,
Well I think you might be out of your depth here and that snorkle
wont help you,but feel free to contribute you might learn something...so might I-HTH
Anonymous
Not applicable
rob2218 wrote:
As far as the liability, same thing. if the model is going to be taken by a contractor to do take offs, then the contractor must make sure he checks his work, asks questions if he finds 3 overlapping slab objects on to of each other for example......it's also the contractors responsibility to check the information.
The issue is not with quantity take offs. No estimator I know is willing to trust someone else's model for this - only as a double check for traditional methods.

The issue is in construction coordination where one misplaced wall or one undersized beam can lead to thousands or tens of thousands in rework. To say the contractor must check the information is not realistic. This assumes they have the necessary skills, and even then the time to fully check the model is not much less than to build it in the first place.

In the case of handing off a model for others' use the only realistic approach is to get a waiver of liability so that you can't be held responsible later on for something that has left your control. Of course it is probably advisable to check with your attorneys on the language and enforceability of such terms. Finally there is the question of whether this waiver reduces or negates the value of the model from the client's point of view.
rob2218
Enthusiast
I'm sure in the next decade or two...you'll see a course being taught at colleges called "BIM Law"....because there is definitely a different mindset which needs to be applied to a BIM model database vs. a DWG cad file.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Rakela Raul
Participant
i have seen a budget of 200,000 for what i would do for 40,000 ..
i think the 7000 dls job was really 2 or 3 times that... then another problem
comes up..since you have the model... do you charge for 'vistas' ? how much ? the model is already done !! how much is the artistic part ??
etc...it gets blurry to me
engineering models are 4 times what we think is right, a fact
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
The model I spoke of was a 4 story main building with two large wings on either side. In the center was a 2 story auditorium with seating, angled floor and curved balconies. Walls, doors, windows, stairs, fixtures, electrical, ceilings, basement, heating tunnel system, fire fixtures and built in lockers were included as well. We also added floor to floor framing with consisted of about 40 different beam types.

It turned out to be a nice model but it just felt underpriced for what it was.

A PDF of the model is on my linkedin.com profile where the files are located. It is the Linden McKinley PDF. There are several views of the model included in the PDF.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/leekilgore
Anonymous
Not applicable
I haven't had a chance to look at the model on your linkedin site, but based on your description of the job it sounds like a lot of work and liability for 7k. My gut feeling is that you should have been able to get twice that. Just a guess though.
Anonymous
Not applicable
3D model price is... Humm what is the maximum i can take from you ....
.. depending how rich you are .....
Learn and get certified!