Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

dual monitors or sinlge large? opinions please

Anonymous
Not applicable
is it more effective to run say (2) 19" or 21" monitors or 1 larger single monitor? Am using 1 21" right now with different cad software & getting ready to switch to archi. Looking at demo version, looks to be alot of info to squeeze into 1 screen between all the tool bars, 2d & 3d windows.
24 REPLIES 24
Arcadia
Booster
I run a 22in screen off 1 512mb card and another 2 19in screens off a second 512mb card and find it great. Big one in centre with 19in either side. I highly recommend it.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a 30" HP as my main and a 23" Samsung (cheap) as my auxilliary. I would rather have my 30" by itself than multiple smaller ones. There have been times when I could have made good use of 3x30"s though.

I think one good, big monitor is superior to two or even three smaller cheaper ones, even though the one can cost considerably more than the others. My HP cost about $1200 and three of the Samsungs would have been about $750 but the size and quality of the HP is so superior and the big primary work area is a major benefit.

Also a good monitor is a long term investment. I have always bought the best one I could get and kept it for years longer than the average computer.

BTW: The HP is the best one I have seen and a good deal as well. The clarity etc are at least as good as the Apple monitors at 2/3 the price, it has three switchable inputs for multiple computers, the stand is more adjustable, and it comes with a three year warrantee with HP's exceptional service. It is not as cool looking as the Apple though.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
My preference is two wide screens, (the bigger the better) with matching vertical resolutions.

The wide screens are better suited to ArchiCAD's palettes and the matching vertical resolution means you can stretch ArchiCAD across both without having any missing or hidden parts.

At the very least make sure your main screen is wide!

Cheers,
Link.
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Three 30" screens would be pretty nice, Matthew. I have two screens--one completely filled with the current AC window and the other for all AC palettes and other applications in use. The bigger, the better. Size does matter.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
same here...
two displays:
Displays:
SyncMaster:
Resolution: 1600 x 900 @ 60 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Television: Yes
Cinema:
Resolution: 1680 x 1050