Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Best solution Architectural Renders

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

I'd need some help in finding the best solution to create architectural renders. Example:

1) I thought in Archicad+3DsMax+V Ray.

Could you give me your advice on this? Is it necessary to create the model in Archidad and then render with 3Ds Max and V ray? or do you have other suggestions?

2) The configuration of the computer would be Intel Core™ i7 860 (2,80 GHz,caché L3 de 8 MB), Memory DDR3 de 6.144 MB (2 x 2 GB) (2 x 1 GB) 1.067 MHz, NVIDIA GeForce™ GT220 1 GB.

Thank you for any help.[/img]
26 REPLIES 26
dwyckoff
Contributor
Greetings,
Why must renderings always be photo-realistic? Have we been watching too many gazillion dollar movies? Remember the more realistic the more time spent getting textures and lighting looking just right. Besides, the important factors of concepts and massing can be the focus of the image and not whether the woodgrain was too large for the trim. If the client wants to pay for time to do realistic renderings, why not wait until all the decisions are final and then do a realistic rendering?

I have found E-on Software's Vue to be an excellent rendering and vegetation population application. But has a learning curve similar to the rest to make things as realistic as you are talking. Then there is Piranesi which goes to great lengths to avoid glossy polished renderings and recreates watercolors and markers and other hand media. To me, the real challenge is to convey feeling and space and not let realism get in the way.
DWyckoff
Master of Time and Space
Whenever the wife lets me

A/C23, OSX10.13.6
Anonymous
Not applicable
dwyckoff wrote:
Greetings,
Why must renderings always be photo-realistic? Have we been watching too many gazillion dollar movies? Remember the more realistic the more time spent getting textures and lighting looking just right. Besides, the important factors of concepts and massing can be the focus of the image and not whether the woodgrain was too large for the trim.
Often renderings should not be photorealistic.

For design development they should be sketchy and focus on the issues at hand. These are preferred for client meetings when feedback is desired.

The photo renderings are usually for selling the finished design to agencies or community groups for their approval. They are also common in marketing materials. They are for when you want a yes or no answer.

Of course this will vary somewhat with the scope of the project and nature of the client.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,
thanks to your suggestions.

Yes, in my case i need photo-realistic renderings for selling the finished design to the client.

so what do you think about the PC Configuration:

DELL STUDIO XPS 800 DT:
Intel Core™ i7 860 (2,80 GHz,caché L3 de 8 MB), Memory DDR3 de 6.144 MB (2 x 2 GB) (2 x 1 GB) 1.067 MHz.

"I only have a doubt: which is the best graphic card i should choose for Artlantis? I searched the forum but could not find an answer.

In the Dell XPS 8000 i can choose between a Geforce GT220 (1GB) or a Geforce GTS240 (1GB). Which one of the two is the best or would it be better a Nvidia Quadro? "

Thank you!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree that there are too many people concentrating on photo realism.
It all depends on what the image is being used for really.

Sketches are great for proposals as your clients can see what you have in mind. Photo realistic images look more finished and your clients may feel this is the end result.
They're also good for sales images. Can me more pleasing to the eye

Cian.

TMA_80
Enthusiast
Hi !

Mattew & Cian ; while I agree with you, I don't know if we are not going to have a paradigm shift with the new realtime rendering engine àla vray rt , fryrender RC or the upcoming mental iray . phtorealism will not only be used for vizualisation purposes but might be used to evaluate the design options especially in term of lighting and the general interior atmosphere...
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

Of course these sketchy renderings are fantastic and very well done. For sure they can be used for the first proposals to clients. For exemple we always propose a couple of different homes to clients so that they can choose the style.
But when it comes to sign the contract (even if the images never have contractual value) the clients always want to see what will be the exact result.
So i think both the sketchy and the realistic renderings are necessary

Give me your opinion about the configuration please:
DELL STUDIO XPS 800 DT:
Intel Core™ i7 860 (2,80 GHz,caché L3 de 8 MB), Memory DDR3 de 6.144 MB (2 x 2 GB) (2 x 1 GB) 1.067 MHz.

and which is the best graphic card i should choose for Artlantis? I searched the forum but could not find an answer.

In the Dell XPS 8000 i can choose between a Geforce GT220 (1GB) or a Geforce GTS240 (1GB). Which one of the two is the best or would it be better a Nvidia Quadro? "

Thank you everyone!
Anonymous
Not applicable
beibbs wrote:
...the clients always want to see what will be the exact result.
Not always. I have seen plenty of clients who are happy with the preliminary renderings and will actually object to wasting resources on fancy renderings.

There are uses for all kinds of presentation styles, formats and methods, but some have been overused and overhyped. Flythoughs and photo-rendering are among those.