Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Wall in a ceartain shape

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello i have a problem...

how do i crate a wall in archicad like the shape on attachment?

Slavko
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
If that is an elevation of the wall, draw a roof that follows the slope of the wall and under Design use the Trim to Roof command.

If that is a section of the wall, use a profiled wall, and you can create the profile under Window->Palettes->Profile Manager
Anonymous
Not applicable
Michael wrote:
...use the Trim to Roof command.
Or solid element operation.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The main difference between Solid Element and using roof is, you will have never correct plan view on the floor plan with solid element.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The cut made in 3D will not be reflected in the 2D representation of the Wall, whether you use Trim to Roof or Solid Element Operations. This part works with neither.
The main difference is that Solid Element Operations are associative so if you move the Roof that cut the Wall, the shape of the cut Wall will update accordingly. With Trim to Roof you have to undo the previous Trim and do it again for the Wall to be trimmed correctly.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
The cut made in 3D will not be reflected in the 2D representation of the Wall, whether you use Trim to Roof or Solid Element Operations. This part works with neither.
As I recall the trim to roof does shorten walls and move slab edges. This is because it is making a permanent rather than contingent alteration. But it is not necessarily a true representation of the result in plan - ie the wall end will be perpendicular even if the trim cut is not.

The trim to roof still has its uses but I prefer to standardize on the more universal and flexible SEO method.

Thanks for the clarifications Laszlo, and for all your work as moderator. You are proving a worthy successor to the esteemed Djordje.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Matthew wrote:
As I recall the trim to roof does shorten walls and move slab edges. This is because it is making a permanent rather than contingent alteration. But it is not necessarily a true representation of the result in plan - ie the wall end will be perpendicular even if the trim cut is not.
Yes, Matthew, you are right, there are some cases when Trim to Roof may cause the desired result in 2D as well.
Thanks for the clarifications Laszlo, and for all your work as moderator. You are proving a worthy successor to the esteemed Djordje.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Could someone please direct me towards a tutorial on solid element operation. Is this the same as making a custom door or window? I use Trim to Roof whenever I do a custom shaped wall, and place the roof on a special "Home Story" so it does not show. But if I have to move the wall and forget to move the roof it can get aggravating.
Barry Kelly
With trim to roof you can delete the roof after the trim and it will not change anything.
The trim will stay regardless of where the roof is.

With Solid Element Operations (SEO) on the other hand you must retain the operator(element doing the cutting) in a hidden layer if you do not want to see it.
And it must be moved with the target (cut element) if you want to retain the trim.

SEO's are explained pretty well in the reference guide.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
vistasp
Advisor
Jeff wrote:
Could someone please direct me towards a tutorial on solid element operation.
Here's a video recently uploaded to YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yloTeUyoXP4
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |