Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Processes - CPU or video card.

Arcadia
Booster
I'm trying to resolve speed issues and fine tune my system for max speed. I'm hoping someone out there with a bit of insider knowledge of Archicad or computers can tell me precisely whether the following processes with archicad use Video Card GPU or CPU so I can track down where my lack of speed is. (And I have played around with the advanced redraw options).

-2D re-draw after panning or zooming
-2D refresh of drawing aids and marquee's etc
-generating elevations
-generating 3D docs
-generating layouts
-building 3D model on hitting F5.

THanks in advance if you can clarify anything for me.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
3 REPLIES 3
owen
Newcomer
I can't tell you with absolute certainty in all cases but I fairly certain of:
-2D re-draw after panning or zooming
-2D refresh of drawing aids and marquee's etc
GPU
-generating elevations
-generating 3D docs
-generating layouts
-building 3D model on hitting F5.
CPU

Basically the CPU does all the generation of data from the ArchiCAD file (2D+3D+Schedule windows) and the GPU does the actual on-screen drawing of the info.

High end graphics cards do little for ArchiCAD (outside OpenGL 3D views AFAIK) - its all about the CPU. This might change in a few versions if ArchiCAD takes advantage of OpenCL to use the GPU for non-graphics processing.

more at ArchiCAD Wiki:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/Video%20Cards%20for%20ArchiCAD%2012?highlight=%28CategoryHardware%29

That said ... looking at your system i would have a look at your model first as possible source of any slowdowns. That system should be more than adequate for most models.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Arcadia
Booster
Thanks Owen. The models I am working with are only single & double story residential jobs so they are not huge. Its the 2D redraw and refresh I am having trouble with mostly which points to my graphics card but I have dual 9800gt cards with 1 card dedicated to my main archicad screen. I don't see why this card could be working slowly given past experience with an 8500gt. Every time I pan or zoom I have to wait a good 1 to 2.0 seconds for it to redraw till I can work on it.

The CPU processed tasks seem to be quicker than my last system but not blindingly faster given how much power my CPU has and the fact that none of the cores even come close to maxxing out when refreshing an elevation or whatever. Are there any benchmarks for performance anywhere for archicad provesses?
Arcadia
Booster
I found the problem . It is a 3rd party library of windows and doors that are causing my redraw problems. The library provider is sorting the problem.