BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

x-ref dwg uses incorrect linetypes

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm having problems with linetypes when x-ref'g consultant dwgs. Manual says Archicad searches for linetypes by "name", and if no match found will append and add to linetype list. Does not seem to work this way. Instead it seems to go by "index number" and simply changes the consultant linetype in the x-ref to whatever linetype corresponds to the index number. Anyone have this issue?
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I've seen some weird substitutions. Once a 2hr enclosure type (triple dash) line type was changed to a CMU symbol type. Yuch. So far it hasn't been worth sorting out for me. I usually just find and select any that are giving trouble and changing then to something more appropriate.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Problem is that that means actually converting the dwg first. Then I guess you may as well just hotlink it. I am trying to actually use the "x-ref" process to link consultant dwgs without converting to pln.
Erika Epstein
Booster
I haven't seen this problem, but I typically place DWGs and other file types as external drawings. This [method doesn't bring in their attributes. Would this method work for you?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
If I were only bringing a dwg into a layout--that works fine. I have been attempting to use x-refs as Autocad users do. I assume this is why Archicad even has this so called "capability". I am trading dwgs with consultants, IE I translate plns to dwg for architectural base plans that the consultants are required to use as an xref (no redrawing plans by consultants); consultants send me their dwgs, and I xref into the project file and use certain layers--survey, new topo, storm etc from Civil, lighting from electrical, S & R diffusers from Mech etc. At each update (either direction), simply swap the dwg files. So not only is this great for coordination, it also remains as output. HOwever, as is far too common with Archicad, 95% works great, 5% screws the entire process up. These linetype changes and rogue layers created makes this process unworkable without translating to pln and making corrections.
Anonymous
Not applicable
You should be able to clean this process up by adjusting attributes, tweaking DWG translators and perhaps using template files. Full round tripping of files can be a tricky process even between users of the same software. For this sort of thing everyone needs to buy into using a common standard.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't think I'm trying to "round-trip" per se (as defined on pg 495 of AC12 guide) This is simply x-ref of dwg. I've spent time with the translators; and this is definitely an attribute issue. I am really after verification, from anyone who may know, that the guide is incorrect when stating that the linetype attributes are searched for by name; when actually iit appears they are by index number. So for instance my Civil has a linetype called "underground water main"; I do not have that linetype; so I thought Archicad was going to add that linetype to the atribute list. Instead it just takes line # 46 Water Line-Hot and I end up with HW on my site plan for a water main. If this process only works by using consultant templates and manually converting every linetype--then I'd say x-refs are not worth the effort. It will be more efficient to translate to dwg to pln and simply change it.
Learn and get certified!