Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Rotating a Vaulted Roof

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to figure out how to pitch a vaulted roof. The sloped surfaces in the attached figure were created with the roof tool, and all is fine, except that the vault now needs to pitch in the way shown. (This is an historic condition that I'm trying to render.)

I've tried selecting the roof in the elevation window, but the rotate element command is not available.

100108ftmtext.jpg
11 REPLIES 11
Erika Epstein
Booster
The roof tool alone will not solve the problem. You would have to save your roofs as a library part and then you could rotate the resultant object when you add rot commands.
or
What you have is more of a tent, You might be able to do this with the Tensile Roof object in Special Structures>Basic Shapes
or
You could do this with the mesh tool, but not so easily.
or
I have a feeling what you need is Ralph Wessel's Objective

I can think of a few other approaches but they are all fairly complex. Perhaps someone else has a simpler solution?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Of course Objective it the power tool approach, but if you're up for doing it by hand it looks like you could do it with profiled beams.

When using profiled tools (especially for things other than the tool's name would imply) remember:

Walls curve.
Beams incline.
Columns lean.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
mc0m wrote:
I am trying to figure out how to pitch a vaulted roof.
I've tried selecting the roof in the elevation window, but the rotate element command is not available.
OBJECTiVE provides a Rotate tool in elevation, but it only rotates GDL objects. You simply select one or more objects and rotate just as you would expect ArchiCAD's rotate to work.

You could either save the roofs as an object or use OBJECTiVE's profile tools to create a new object with the same shape. Either approach will allow you to freely cut and rotate the shape in 3D, but the latter approach would also allow you to bend the profile to a curve (if required). It also provides better control over the smoothness of the 3D form.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
A complex profiled beam work like a charm.
screen_01.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you all so very much.

Your answers will keep me busy for a bit. 😉
Anonymous
Not applicable
I looked at Objective and it looks amazing, but I'd like to try to figure out the beam approach as well.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried the beam approach and, for the most part, it works really well. I was able to get the pitch that is needed.

On the other hand, I need for the pitched element to do an upwards extrusion of the wall that it is resting on. That was a very straightforward SEO when the element was a roof. Now it is a beam, and they have intersection priorities which are odd numbers. The intersection priorities of the wall are even numbers ... so the SEO can't happen.
Anonymous
Not applicable
mc0m wrote:
On the other hand, I need for the pitched element to do an upwards extrusion of the wall that it is resting on. That was a very straightforward SEO when the element was a roof. Now it is a beam, and they have intersection priorities which are odd numbers. The intersection priorities of the wall are even numbers ... so the SEO can't happen.
It will still work. You just need to make sure the beam has a higher priority number than the wall, then SEO as normal. For example if the wall is 8, then the beam needs to be 9 or higher.

It may not be working at the moment because the wall could be automatically cutting the beam away leaving nothing to SEO.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh...

Okay.

/headslap