Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Replace one object with another?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Perhaps a silly question but...

Is there a way to replace all occurrences of a particular GDL object in a model with another similar object similar to the block replacement command in AutoCAD? Or is their a better way to accomplish the same thing by say augmenting/replacing the part in the library?

Also, is their a way to have blocks translated to GDL objects based on some custom mapping when a dwg is merged into the model? I really only need placement and rotation information to be preserved, but if possible could block attributes be mapped to GDL parameters?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
4 REPLIES 4
Erika Epstein
Booster
Select all the library parts you want to change to another one. You can use Find & Select in the Edit menu to filter your selection. With Find & Select open, alt/opt+click on one of the library parts (GDL Objects) and then click the plus button in Find & Select and all like objects will be selected.

Open the object's settings box ctrl/cmd+T. Navigate to the object you want to replace them with.

Re your second question there is a translator setting to change all blocks to archicad library parts. They will not be parametric. You can, with some learning about GDL learn how to make them parametric.

Another method would be to export them from your Autodesk program to IFC and then into archicad. This should preserve the parameters. If you have textures attached in Autodesk then you will need to load them into your Archicad library for the object to find them.
HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
Another method would be to export them from your Autodesk program to IFC and then into archicad. This should preserve the parameters.
Has this worked for you? Aside from the ArchiCAD Connection tool for AutoCAD MEP it seems that most parts come in as relatively dumb BREPs.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Matthew,
I don't have autodesk, so I couldn't test that. Have you tried IFC from Revit? Does it also give a dumb library part?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
The proposed solution doesn't work for objects used on layouts since there is no way to select them all at the same time. Why is such functionality not available in the library manager.
Managing objects on layouts is an underestimated problem. It would be an improvement if the ArchiCAD development team would also consider objects on layouts in their object management.
Another example is managing objects in schedules. There is no possibility for managing objects used on layouts (like layout stamps) in a schedule.
In my opinion it would be great if something like a "layout schedule" could be introduced in the next release...