Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Why are some attribute names in italic?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I've noticed that after updating to AC13 some attribute names (line types, material names etc...) display in italic text style. This applies to attribute manager window and separate windows for the attributes (like materials window for example). It also varies between projects.

I'm pretty sure this feature wasn't there on earlier versions. What does the italic text style on attribute name signify?
9 REPLIES 9
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I swear I have seen this before but I don't remember exactly when.
My first thought was that this may be showing that something is missing.
Can you post a screenshot, maybe I will remember if I see it?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok. Here's a screenshot from a project in which all but one(!) materials were in italic. The mat. no 124 is 'normal'. Everything else is in italic.

Edit:
My first thought was also that maybe a texture or 2d-fill is missing from the material definition. As I've checked, it seems that sometimes that is true, and sometimes even if those are present, the name is in italic.

In material attributes this would seem logical, but what about line types then? I thought they had no dependencies to other definitions..?
MatwindowItalic.jpg
Arcadia
Booster
I've noticed this too when looking at my list of materials and it seems to be pretty random and has no effect whatsoever. Sometimes all are italic, sometimes none are sometime some are.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
Bruce
Expert
Yes, I'm curious about this too. I've looked up the online help but no luck. Can someone shed some light?
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
I also realized this "strange" behavior...
Looking at your screen shot I see you have some materials coming from ArchiTerra.
What I guess (but only GS could answer in the right way) is that the materials displayed in italic are those materials created not using ArchiCAD (I mean manually creating a new Material) but using GDL definitions.
The ArchiTerra materials come from a dedicated MasterGDL object inside your library: when you load the library this object automatically creates these materials.

Friendly
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Italy Srl | Via Rossignago 2/A Spinea Venezia 30038 Italy
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Fabrizio wrote:
/.... materials come from a dedicated MasterGDL object inside your library:
when you load the library this object automatically creates these materials.
Fabrizio, I agree. I have a number in italic. All from 3rd party parts.
Whilst you have the parts loaded you cannot delete them. If you do, they
return next time you open the file with those parts in your loaded library.
3rd party materials.png
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok. This might indeed be the case. But I sure wish there would be some definite documentation on the feature.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Whenever a fill is made in the GDL script this fill will show up in italic font. It is made with the command DEFINE FILL (page 166 of the GDL reference guide 12) in any GDL object. You can delete the attribute, but if you have loaded that particular library the GDL script it is 'programmed back'
If you unload the library and then delete the attribute, it remains deleted.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
And an official comment from Graphisoft:

The attributes in italics are those generated by GDL. This may be via a master GDL or individual objects.

Cheers,
Link.