Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Moving files between hard drive space

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I have a file saved (.pln) on my desktop and now I've moved it to the documents folder on my Mac. When I go to open the file it says there are library parts missing, more specifically OBJECTiVE library parts as this was used to create the model. I'm not sure how to ' go back ' to the desktop version which is when it worked fine, and I don't know which library part is needed...

Thank you for your help ! It's urgent.
8 REPLIES 8
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
You will need the same libraries on your laptop that you have on your desktop computer. An alternative would be to save as an archive(.pla).
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Anonymous
Not applicable
It was physically stored on the laptop. I then moved it to " My Documents" on the same laptop, so it has just moved location on the hard drive.

I know now that I should have gone to file. save . documents, creating two copies rather than just dragging into a different hard drie location.

Thank you
Barry Kelly
Open the Library Manager and find the required libraries again.

You shouldn't need to do this if everything is on the same machine.
That makes me think the libraries may have been moved or deleted as well.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Open the Library Manager and find the required libraries again.

You shouldn't need to do this if everything is on the same machine.
That makes me think the libraries may have been moved or deleted as well.

Barry.
The thing is, I don't really know which library to chose, it wasn't a very organised project...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok I think I've fixed it. Now, if I save it as a Archive file then for example restored my laptop but backed up the file, can it still be opened,read and edited ?

Thank You
Erika Epstein
Booster
N,
When you open the archive you are asked if you want to
read the library directly from the file, or create a new file folder of the used parts in the pla. If you are going to be using other library parts such as other parts within the standard archicad library, then you should chose the option to create a library folder.

Then you can load the AC standard library that is on your computer. Unload the folders of AC standard library parts from the pla so you will not get duplicate library parts.

In the end you will have loaded
- your standard AC library
- folder of non AC library parts that you got from the pla.

Hope this is clear enough. (Makes sense when you know it 🙂)
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
N,
When you open the archive you are asked if you want to
read the library directly from the file, or create a new file folder of the used parts in the pla. If you are going to be using other library parts such as other parts within the standard archicad library, then you should chose the option to create a library folder.

Then you can load the AC standard library that is on your computer. Unload the folders of AC standard library parts from the pla so you will not get duplicate library parts.

In the end you will have loaded
- your standard AC library
- folder of non AC library parts that you got from the pla.

Hope this is clear enough. (Makes sense when you know it 🙂)
Thank you, Just to make sure, if I create a new folder, I select the Archicad 13 library folder, and does it create a subfolder into that ? If I decided to move a file from say " Documents to " my desktop " would I need to save it as a archive file as it is been moved? I moved a .pln file from " my desktop " to " my documents" and that is why the library parts a re' missing ' but I have relocated them and will probably crate a archive file now so that ALL parts are in the AC 13 library folder?

Thank you very much.
Erika Epstein
Booster
The one time I check your signature for AC version, by your response I see you are on a newer version

When you look at the subfolders in the folder created by your pla, you can see which other libraries you had loaded in the original.

If you are not going to be using library parts not inlcuded in the pla (it only includes those used/placed) then you can leave the library folder as is. If you just want to look at the file, then you could have chosen the option to read from the archive [pla].

You can keep the pla libraries or replace them with the full version that are on your computer. The AC13 library from the pla contains only the library parts, textures and macros USED.
pla created library and its subfolders.jpg
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"