Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Attach walls to roof

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to see an "attach to roof" option in the wall settings. Revit has had this feature for years, and it is the only thing I miss in ArchiCAD. I understand the value of trimming walls to the roof or performing an SEO to keep the wall and roof together, but I'd rather simply "attach" the top of a wall to the roof. That way, regardless of any changes you make to the roof, you would never have to worry about adjusting roof heights, untrimming roofs, or redefining SEOs.
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

if you select the wall there's a command Design/Trim to Roof in stead of SEO.

Best Regards,
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Ila, he is talking about a feature that is available in Revit.
He would like to see the same in ArchiCAD.
Attach to Roof in Revit means that basically the Wall derives its height from the Roof. It will be exactly as high as needed to be cut by the Roof so if you elevate the Roof you do not need to adjust the height of the Wall to be high enough.
So it is like a SEO, but additionally the height of the Wall changes as needed.
It is a nice feature.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
You're right, I don't know Revit so detailed.

Is it - that Revit named - the parametric constraint?
Or is it a feature among the wall and roof specifically?

Cheers,
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
It is a special Wall-Roof relationship, I think.
So the Wall is constrained to the Roof with its height set accordingly, and also SEO-ed.
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK.

It would be important.
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
It is a special Wall-Roof relationship, I think.
So the Wall is constrained to the Roof with its height set accordingly, and also SEO-ed.
That is correct.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

We almost have this feature in Archicad because you can trim a Wall to a Roof so the Roof cuts the Wall and it is an associative relationship. The only thing you have to make sure of is that the Wall height is high enough because in Archicad it will not be set to a higher value if the Roof is elevated.

Yes - but only almost.

I guess that the majority of cases where one wants a connection between wall and roof and thus use trim to roof has an initial configuration where wall height < roof height. A solution where you  first have to manually extend the wall beyond the roof in order to achieve the result is flawed.