Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Gateway to the West Arch

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am creating an arch similar to the Gateway to the West Arch in St. Louis, Missouri, only not quite on the grand scale the gateway is.
How would I do this in archicad?
I have tried a few features only to stopped at dead ends so far.

Thanks

Timothy Green
Instructor
Howard College
Big Spring, TX
18 REPLIES 18
Erika Epstein
Booster
For those not familiar with the Arch it was designed by Eero Saarinen.

Arch website

Do you have any of his drawings to know the geometry? Or are you 'eyeballing' the model of it?

And is some data on the Catenary Arch. Scroll down and it talks about the St. Louis Arch.here
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am planning on just eyeballing it. It doesn't really have to be to exact mathematical calculations.
I was hoping to plug in some sizes or radii or etc. and see what it looks like - sort of a 'trial and error' until I get the right look.
David Collins
Advocate
A variable triangular section following an elliptical path....?
I would build it flat on the ground and lift it up. Isn't that what Saarinen did?
(Just joking: I got my M.ARCH at Wash U. in St Louis.)

1) Paste in a photo of the St. Louis arch and trace the elevation outline in plan with a polyline.
2) Create a mesh using the magic wand on the polyline. Use "Linear Segments" Tracing method to create nodes at regular intervals. (The actual arch is segmented, too.)
3) Keep the inside nodes at 0. Raise each outside node to 1/2 the trianglar section height at that location. Ask Pythagoras for help. That should give you the top half of the arch.
4) Save as 3d object, with view in 3d window from top of the arch.
5) Place the object. Mirror a copy to complete the arch.
6) Viola! (joke, old, ArchiTalk)

For extra credit, drag and drop the mesh into GDL, mirror the mesh using MULz -1, use CUTPOLYA to eliminate the unsightly line at join, rotate up into place. Create 2d symbol, with museum entry shown.
David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
tgreen wrote:
I am creating an arch similar to the Gateway to the West Arch in St. Louis, Missouri, only not quite on the grand scale the gateway is.
How would I do this in archicad?
I have tried a few features only to stopped at dead ends so far
Try modelling this with OBJECTiVE. I've modelled a quick example - although it's bent to a regular arc rather than an inverted catenary, you could achieve a similar effect by placing 3 or more segments rather than one. It all depends on the effect your after. With OBJECTiVE you could:
  • 1. Draw the shape of the arch in plan (as if you were looking down on it) with the fill tools, and use the menu OBJECTiVE > Component > New Profile to construct a profiled object from it. Set the type to 'Elevation'

2. Elevation profiles have a bending hotspot at the midpoint. If you grab this, you can loft the arch to the required height.

3. The finished arch.

Arch2.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch
Erika Epstein
Booster
Tim,
I noted that you are on the faculty, Objective is free for educational licenses, correct Ralph?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Erika wrote:
Tim,
I noted that you are on the faculty, Objective is free for educational licenses, correct Ralph?
Yes, correct. Just download from http://www.encina.co.uk/sw-download.html and install - no registration is required for educational users.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Ralph,
I notice that your arch has a rectangular cross section.
Can Objective make a tapering equilateral triangle cross section
like the gateway arch ?
Thanks,
Peter Devlin
Erika Epstein
Booster
Just to see what I could do in archicad,
I. drew in floor plan window with lines and arch an eyeballed Catenary arch.

2. Magic wanded a Polygonal wall into the area of the arch. I used the wall tool as thin slabs are not easily trimmed using the trim to roof function. I did not want to SEO as cumbersome for this exercise.

3. placed a roof on the top of the wall. in 3D window I adjusted the slope and trimmed with top of wall.
4. Dragged a copy of the roof down and put a minus sign in front of its angle to reverse the slope and then trimmed bottom of wall.

5. Saved trimmed wall as a library object and stood it up.
Crude result; If I had made a true Catenary arch in plan it would have been much better.
Time: ~10 minutes
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's my quick and dirty arch. It's made with one profiled wall sandwiched between two slanted walls. No SEO necessary. They clean up automatically.

This was very easy. Just a couple of minutes depending on how much you want to tweak the curves. The triangular section of the original would be much more difficult.

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!