Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

new rendering engine, Octane Render

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is a new rendering engine that you guys might be interested in trying out, a demo is available.

I recommened watching the video demonstration, very impressive!

http://www.refractivesoftware.com/index.html

Octane Render is the worlds first GPU based, un-biased, physically based renderer. As opposed to the handfull of processor cores available in CPU's, the GPU typically has hundreds of cores for parallel processing making it the best resource for rendering in your computer. Yet, to date no other software makes use of it in the way that Octane does. With even a single mid-range GPU you can typically expect to see a 1000%-1500% (10X to 15X) speed increase over a typical un-biased, CPU based renderer.
10 REPLIES 10
Dwight
Newcomer
And only €199!!!
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
just look at the rendering time ! ... we are talking seconds and minutes here ! .. if it really works that easy and fast .. I think this is a HUGE thing .

not sure about ease of use, but if learning it is easy, I think Artlantis has no chance to compete. ( not to mention the other big rendering names).
Anonymous
Not applicable
this new program and its way of working (using video cards for rendering) is going to turn upsidedown market

maxwell render - 895 euros
artlantis - 850 $
vray - 865 $

Octane render - now cos 99 and when ver 1.0 is out 199 euros

this is GREAT !

This image is rendered in 1:30minutes.
This is unbiased render like maxell and its faster then artlanits
This is GREAT stuff - new techonolgy is here
Its 10-15 times faster then CPU renders

long live the competiotion
Anonymous
Not applicable
12 minutes render
Anonymous
Not applicable
NeckoFromSarajevo wrote:

long live the competiotion
I was just going to ask when do you guys think Autodesk will buy it ?
Yeah, every respectable Render software developer these days is announcing their own version of a GPU (or more accurately GPGPU) renderer with RealTime interactivity. Chaosgroup already have VrayTR. Mentalray also have Iray, Kerkytera (sp?) maker's also have a Thearender version that is GPU in the works, you also have BunkSpeed Hypershot (or rather formerly Bunkspeed) and Fryrender makers also recently announced Arion.

So it seems like this is the future of high-end rendering, and maybe the first step in completely integrated photorealistic and interactive viewports in 3D modeling applications. Kind of like the stuff you saw in Avatar, from 150 years in the future.

The thing with all these GPU renderers, is that they require a more than decent quality GPU or graphics card to get the most out of the software, which basically means that they are really leaning more on computing brute force (Computer/graphics card processing power) rather than on any advances in the software algorithms used to calculate the renders. Certainly for the unbiased ones like Octane and Fryrenders Arion, they've hit a wall insofar as how to make unbiased renders render faster with modern CPU's.

The other thing is that with the exception of the VrayRT and Mentalray's Iray, none of these GPU renderers I have seen demos of, have been shown handling heavy scenes with lots of geometry like we're accustomed to working with in Architecture.

As for Octane, the interface looks a bit clunky if not over-ambitious in the sense of who they should be trying to market it to. But the agree that the price is amazing if not strange, compared to other products in the market.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there...

Stupid question... I have the demo, want to try it out, but how do i get my ArchiCAD model into Octane?
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
Cecilia,

I am just watching one of the videos on the site and it says it imports Wavefront .obj files which we can export from Archicad.

Cheers,
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Guys

Has anybody done any further work with Octane?
Are there any additional plug-in available as the demo version
of octane is rather limited.

Kurt