BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Constant thickness option for Mesh Tool

Gerald D Lock
Advocate
Topic:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=28577
comes close to discussing this, but I can't find any other requests for this feature.

For use in making things like concrete paths which follow the form of a terrain mesh that has already been modelled.
Currently the mesh tool has a 'solid' option, 'top skin' (zero thickness), and 'skirt' (what's it good for??)

The 'constant thickness' could be one of these options, where you specify the thickness below the top surface, just like a slab.
At present, I can acheive it only by cloning the mesh, elevating it lower, then using solid element op's. Fine, except when your model becomes complex and SEO's start failing/glitching.
ArchiCAD 24 (build 5004)

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) Apple M1 Pro 32GB RAM | MacOS 12.0.1

Melbourne, Australia
8 REPLIES 8
Barry Kelly
There is the "Mesh to Roof" add-on.
I guess this would create other problems though not being a single mesh and not so easily adjustable in node heights.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Gerald D Lock
Advocate
Thanks Barry - I've used the mesh-to-roof add on many times & familiar with it's uses, limitations etc.. but it doesn't really address the essential requirements of my wish, with precisely the short-comings that you've highlighted.

It needs to remain fully editable, rather than a once only 'converter' which would then involve deleting & re-making every time the mesh changes (which may be often in the early design phase, when such a mesh function would be most useful)
ArchiCAD 24 (build 5004)

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) Apple M1 Pro 32GB RAM | MacOS 12.0.1

Melbourne, Australia
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Would be great, wished it myself many times. Essential!
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
It is a good whish! I vote for that.
Although in AC13 you can subtract with downwards extrusion two Meshes, one on the top of each other.
It is working pretty good!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree that this would be great. There are of course some difficulties.

If the offset is vertical (like the SEO trick) then it can run into problems with steep slopes. If the offset is perpendicular (like the mesh to roof) then there is an x, y offset to the nodes on the lower surface. Not insurmountable but probably significant issues I imagine.

One step further would be to allow the bottom node elevations to be adjustable (independent of the top). Probably too much to expect unless it were to come along for the ride (ie be inherent in the generalized form to enable the other special cases). It sure would allow a lot of forms that are presently very hard to do.
Paul King
Advisor
Absolute agree - another log standing wish
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Anonymous
Not applicable
A very usefull wish, We can may be then give the mesh a height of say 1200 and width of 200 and run it along the boundary of a sloping terrained site like a boundary wall.

It will suddenly make a lot of hitherto difficult / impossible architectural features very easy to make
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would also like a composite material added to the uniform thickness mesh. Right now its painful, cause I have to draw two mesh and trim one with another to produce this effect.
Since started working in archicad, i have seen 3 new versions, 12, 13 and 14 but why isn't this implemented yet?
Learn and get certified!