Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

where is the help for arhicad??????

Anonymous
Not applicable
ok.. i have posted a couple of "how to" questions, and i feel like there basic elementary questions and kinda embarrassed to ask them..i have been using autocad for over 21 years... i have been using archicad (ac) for 2 weeks.. someone please tell me where the actual help files are.. not the ones that come with the software, or off the web site.. because those dont help.. they show you how to do things with preset items.. i called our salesman today and he finally admitted that the tutorials are just that.. they look good when u first get them, but when it comes to drawing from scratch.. there isnt nothing.. i have to pay $600 a day for someone to teach me and thats not how it should work.. i could do a search for almost anything on autocad and get help on a detailed, specific topic on how to do it.. archicad has zero.. for 2 weeks i have been using it with an open mind.. but its starting to close..
someone please direct me where the help files are.. the ones that show me from scratch how to draw a footer.. or make 2 walls connect, make 2 walls connect that have different finishes..put in storefront.. all that standard stuff thats in a standard commercial bldg..
8 REPLIES 8
Rod Jurich
Contributor
cadmaster wrote:
/......
someone please direct me where the help files are.. /......
You should find all files regarding your query under the HELP menu.
Help.png
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Erika Epstein
Booster
Thanks for letting us know you are new to Archicad, and Welcome 🙂 As they say the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask So ask away.

Getting help when learning new software is never a bad idea. 21 years ago when you first learned autocad what kind of training did you get?

The video tutorials when I first started with AC used to teach you how to use the software. Now they show a few things that it can do with little explanation. There are some how-to videos on Utube that individuals have posted.
What part of the US are you in?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
The help files are very limited compared to AutoCADs documentation. They're basically reference material, so your best bet is to do the tutorials (found in the help menu) and ask here.
Anonymous
Not applicable
No need for the help menu when you have a whole community of user willing and more than able to help you!!! Better than any Autocad manual....
Arcadia
Booster
I started using archicad 18 months ago and learnt firstly by watching and doing the tutorials, secondly by actually modelling a building and going to the reference manual whenever I needed to know how to do something, thirdly by going to a 1 week training course. There was also a lot of trial and error. Basically don't bog yourself down by reading the manual cover to cover (but do have a look through to see what is possible) and just take it step by step. If you need to know how to make your walls 'clean' correctly look at the reference for wall trimming and skin setup. If you need to put on a roof go to the reference.

I found it really heavy going and frustrating to start with for 2 or 3 months like learning any new software but after that it got easier and now I am punching out models and drawings as quick as I can think. It is SO much better than Autocad you will wonder how you managed before.

The other main tip I can give you is to constantly and singlemindely keep updating and developing your template and list of fave's as this will be a huge time saver for you down the track.

Good luck!
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would suggest that you will quickly recoup the $600 outlay for lessons, rather than struggling along and eventually finding out how to do something, essentially losing money in the process. Having a personal trainer will also allow you to ask specific questions, that a tutorial will not necessarily cover. A good way to do it is to have a crash course, then go and work for a while using what you have learnt, then having the trainer come back to answer any questions when you know what questions to ask.

You will eventually come to rue the 21years lost using AutoCAD.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ask, ask ask, lots of help here.

But first, the ITG's "Interactive Training Guides" ...
Go to > Help > Training Guides, clicking here takes you to the GS webpage. There you will see several interactive training guides. These are guided tours, with a separate tour for each of several subjects. They come with a PDF file with complete step by step, but wait there's more!, they also come with tons of short video clips showing you exactly where commands can be found and and what happens when it is done right. Indispensable, must see stuff.

I am a sole practitioner, I went down the "hire the guru" path. It did help kick start the process. But I should have done all the training guides first. The training guides should not be missed. After you do the guides (or as you do them) use this forum, and by all means contact that guru. Without the forum I would now be using other software. Additionally check the GS webpage under events, they sponsor one week "schools" on AC, if you're looking @ $600/day for your guru, these school workshops will seem cheap to you.

All your questions about the footer, walls intersecting are in the first ITG's you should do: Experience BIM, Essentials and Advanced Modeling, the one on GDL is really good too.

Gaining the virtual modeler's "mental approach to the problem" was my biggest failing, I too had over 20 years of AutoCad then Microstation" 2d way of doing it" that simply crippled my ability to quickly get to it as a modeler who expects great 2d output as well.

Snap
PS Our vendor has monthly online training classes, they focus on one topic, but you'll learn how a really good user thinks when approaching an issue. Check with your vendor, and pay for the subscription service. Elsewhere on forum you will hear people gripe about buying the yearly upgrade; listen, its the support, online training, etc that you get that is why you should pay the yearly fee IMHO. Who knows, maybe one day you might change your moniker from cadmaster to modelmaster.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cadmaster,

More thoughts on the transition from 2D to Virtual Building (VB). You are not just learning a new software, you are changing your approach to documentation.

My experience of 2D was this:
1) the elements of production; such as nice line weights, clean details, convincing elevations, etc., were also the final product in and of themselves.
2) Any drawn element did not affect any other drawn element. This lack of software coordination actually made great looking drafting a breeze.

The result was that in modeling, I expected the model to be the end result, just like in 2D. Draw it = done. That one expectation, so ingrained, and unexamined until too late, caused more cursing than a drunken sailor. For great drafting in VB I use a three pronged strategy: 1) Create a tight model, 2 Additive 2D linework, 3) use of pen sets to create "pop".

Now I VB like this: 1) model all the primary systems: structure, enclosure, and almost all architectural features. 2) 2D linework for accessory materials: membranes, flashing, insulation, etc. 3) I leave Archicad pen selections as is, but use the pen sets to change the lineweights for specific layouts. Not hard and fast rules, just a method to use and abuse as the case warrants.

I have only a few years exp in AC, maybe the more seasoned users will chime in with their strategies.

Snap