Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Improved Use of Profiles

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have the ability to store Fills as profiles, but limited access to their use (wall, beam, column). Not only could these be used as end conditions for rafter tails and slab edges, but also for custom door and window trims, custom curtain wall profiles, tread nosings, cabinet counter edges, handrails, etc. The framework is already there, but Graphisoft is limiting the use. Hopefully this can be handled with a Hotfix.
16 REPLIES 16
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
I can almost guarantee you'll never see this come as a hotfix, but it's a good wish nonetheless, and surely wished for by many a user. I have been hoping for roof edge and slab edge profiles ever since the CPs were first introduced.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
But it is important to ask that the full power of this be explored. If we ask for only slab edges, then we will get the access to this technology as piece-meal. But nice to know I have at least some support on this.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Along with this wish comes the need for better organization of the profiles. The present, single, alphabetical list already gets quickly overloaded with only wall, beam and column profiles.

It is ridiculous having a 1/2" wood trim in the same list as a 24" steel beam. The profiles are tremendously useful and I would love to see them extended to other purposes besides the present ones, but this will have to be accompanied by better management tools.
Not only the way the profiles are organized is...quite messy (when more than 10 profiles made..) but also a way of applying profiles to objects in profile editor is some kind of "mess creating" - there should be 2 ways of applying profile from profile editor - the one that is there already - applying the "unnamed" profile, and - the way that would apply a "named" profile - as applying from profile editor is easier (preview etc). Now the only way of applying the "named" profile is in the object's settings...

Best Regards,
Piotr
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree with Matt. My 'work-around' is to start the names with a number corresponding to the CSI division the profile/extrusion is made for. The preferred method for me would be that the profile have similar icons as the composites, indicating if it is trim, extrusion, slab edge, rafter edge, etc. Then like under Favorites once selected, only those profiles applicable appear.
Anonymous
Not applicable
SmileyMan wrote:
The preferred method for me would be that the profile have similar icons as the composites, indicating if it is trim, extrusion, slab edge, rafter edge, etc.
It is of course necessary to categorize and view the profiles by the tool type that they apply to, but beyond that we need to be able to create arbitrary categories within these.

For example I have hundreds of structural steel profiles. I would like to be able to categorize them as "W-section", "HSS", "L", and so on. In fact I have enough W-sections that I would like to arrange them by "W12", "W14", etc. My present pop-up palette for beam profiles is three columns and runs well off my 30" monitor.

Or imagine having complete catalogs for molded wood, extruded aluminum, cast plaster and formed plastic trims from a variety of manufacturers. It would be nice to be able to browse these and add them to the project without totally overloading the pop-up list.
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Geoff wrote:
I have been hoping for roof edge and slab edge profiles ever since the CPs were first introduced.
Same here.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matt,

How come you don't use the Beam and Column objects and their preset steel shapes instead? Is it because they are objects instead of specifically "columns" and "beams"? Personally for steel, I stopped using the column and beam tools for steel because of these internal library objects.

As for the rest, you are absolutely right! That would be exactly the way to handle these issues!
Anonymous
Not applicable
SmileyMan wrote:
How come you don't use the Beam and Column objects and their preset steel shapes instead? Is it because they are objects instead of specifically "columns" and "beams"?
Mostly because they are easier and faster to use. I have been modeling very large structures and the make a big difference. Even if that were not the case I probably would do it anyway because they are correctly identified in the IFC output.