Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

New/custom composite walls ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm looking for any new(er) wall fills in Archicad. I've been researching and I'm not sure if you can actually make custom walls. When I mean custom, I mean 'greener' walls, or at least new technologies in wall structure.

Thank You
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
NStocks wrote:
Now I just need to create a fill that represents timber frame wall. Could I also show the timber frame wall in 3d
You should probably build the timber frame in 3D with the beam and column tools. Fancy joinery, chamfers and other details are a bit of a chore but you probably don't need them at this point anyway. Curved bracing can be accomplished with profiles. You could also do full bents with Trussmaker. It is a bit limited but quite easy and quick.

You might also want to check out Ralph Wessel's tools at:

www.encina.co.uk/

He has a great all around modeling tool called OBJECTiVE and a full on timber framing tool called FrameWright. I don't know his educational policies but they may be surprisingly generous.

Your talk of walls confused me a bit. It sounds like tour assignment is not to use walls at all but rather to use a frame with skins and partitions. In modern timber framing it is quite unusual to use exterior stud walls at all. The preferred method in my experience is to wrap the frame with exterior panels.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
NStocks wrote:
Now I just need to create a fill that represents timber frame wall. Could I also show the timber frame wall in 3d
You should probably build the timber frame in 3D with the beam and column tools. Fancy joinery, chamfers and other details are a bit of a chore but you probably don't need them at this point anyway. Curved bracing can be accomplished with profiles. You could also do full bents with Trussmaker. It is a bit limited but quite easy and quick.

You might also want to check out Ralph Wessel's tools at:

www.encina.co.uk/

He has a great all around modeling tool called OBJECTiVE and a full on timber framing tool called FrameWright. I don't know his educational policies but they may be surprisingly generous.

Your talk of walls confused me a bit. It sounds like tour assignment is not to use walls at all but rather to use a frame with skins and partitions. In modern timber framing it is quite unusual to use exterior stud walls at all. The preferred method in my experience is to wrap the frame with exterior panels.
Well the external walls are just like studs aren't they, where you have a exterior cladding for weatherproofing and aesthetics. Then you have the studs that actually hold everything together and for support, then insulation then plaster. I've not yet looked at timber frame construction but hopefully when I do, I can create it in CAD more accurately.

I've got OBECTiVE and I've used it before, it's a brilliant tool. I've just installed framewright, but it won't show the actual frame tool or the framing menu, I've referred to the ' read me' with framewright, but even if I follow those instructions it doesn't show up.

If I created a timbers frame, and then placed a custom curtain wall, would I need to manually re draw the timber frame so that there are no gaps or would they be automatically placed ?

Thank You

Thank You
Anonymous
Not applicable
NStocks wrote:
Well the external walls are just like studs aren't they...
In my experience here in the states the enclosure panels are typically sandwiches of insulation, lining and cladding. They may or may not have sticks in them which may or may not be the same dimensions as studs. In any case the panels are only structural in the same sense as sheathing is to a stick framed structure.

My main point is that timber framing is like heavy steel construction in that whatever "walls" there might be are not structural and so are not subject to the same constraints and construction methods as stick framed buildings.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
NStocks wrote:
Well the external walls are just like studs aren't they...
In my experience here in the states the enclosure panels are typically sandwiches of insulation, lining and cladding. They may or may not have sticks in them which may or may not be the same dimensions as studs. In any case the panels are only structural in the same sense as sheathing is to a stick framed structure.

My main point is that timber framing is like heavy steel construction in that whatever "walls" there might be are not structural and so are not subject to the same constraints and construction methods as stick framed buildings.
After reading a few books, for cross referencing, I'm going to make the wall studs ( if you call the external walls studs ) 100mm x 50mm, and insulate them with Kingspan, then add cladding and lining, followed by plaster as you mentioned.

I'm just going to use the " Beam " tool and " column " tool for this construction, I really only need to show the ' rough ' construction i.e no fancy corners are needed.

One other question: If I have all the walls built in colums then add a curtain wall ( my windows are very freeform), will I need to manucally re join all the joists with beams ? I'm also having problems with curtain walls and walls, I've used the SEO but no matter how I set it, the wall won't subtract from the curtain wall to create an opening.

Thank you so much for your help.
Anonymous
Not applicable
N,
Hm... I'd like to tell you to forget using the curtain wall tool at this point. Build your timbers piece by piece.
You already started by using individual columns and beams. Personally I find it easier to make custom
windows than to handle the curtain wall in what must be several conditions of either infill or true curtain wall
that passes outside of all structure. Under help you will find the Reference Guide, look under virtual building
for making custom or freeform windows.

You can model the timber frame as you suggest, AND use a wall also in the same plane. You'll want to make use
of the display order command available on the pet palette. Are you familiar with the "layer intersection group"rules and the
ability to modify them? If not, check it out, they will be most useful to you in this process.

I can't see reason why use of the curtain wall tool would force you to relocate your joists. BTW, AECBytes has a cool article
on how to use the curtain wall tool to represent all of the studs in your wall. I think their specific example was a deck boards,
but the concept is the same. http://www.aecbytes.com/tipsandtricks/2009/issue42-archicad.html

Snap