BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Improved Use of Profiles

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have the ability to store Fills as profiles, but limited access to their use (wall, beam, column). Not only could these be used as end conditions for rafter tails and slab edges, but also for custom door and window trims, custom curtain wall profiles, tread nosings, cabinet counter edges, handrails, etc. The framework is already there, but Graphisoft is limiting the use. Hopefully this can be handled with a Hotfix.
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree that the complex profiles are very useful and powerful. I have been experimenting with using them to control are wall types and they have worked well so far. The ability to use one wall construction that can be stretched for different stud sizes, is built from a definable reference line(don't have to use the offset to correct the wall placement) and the skins and finishes updated globally by changing one wall type. It would be nice if the components worked more like the complex profiles, just not the vertical component.
owen
Newcomer
Matthew wrote:
Even if that were not the case I probably would do it anyway because they are correctly identified in the IFC output.
This is one of the problems with the lack of abstraction of the building element classification from geometry construction tools in ArchiCAD - there are many 'workarounds' using one tool to build something another more appropriate (element classification-wise) tool cannot. One basic example is using the Mesh to create complex slabs, or the roof tool for sloping slabs. It doesn't matter to ArchiCAD, but when you export to IFC things get incorrectly assigned.

As I suggested in one of the pre-AC13 feature discussions I think there needs to be some ability to create geometry using whatever tool fits the bill, and then tell ArchiCAD that your 'roof' is in fact a 'slab' (for example).

Back to the topic .. I really think there needs to be a big improvement in the management of all attributes, including Profiles. Being able to place attributes in nested groups (i.e folders) as well as being able to chose criteria by which they are ordered in menus. e.g I for one hate having Symbol fills separated from other fills - i dont care what type of fill they are, I want them sorted alphanumerically using the names i give them.

cheers,

os
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
All good points! Additionally I think the product 'OBJECTiVE' does a great job at creating extrusions from Fills. However, the downside of this tool is that the Fills are not stored internally and only useable by manual placement -- not globally available once created. This brings me back to my main request about profiles: through the Profile Manager, the created fills are already internal and the program already requests certain information.... but AC does not make available this stored information of Profiles in additionally useful places.

I would first like to see profiles I have stored to be useful for things like Curtain Wall frame extrusions, window and door trims, slab edge conditions, etc. Once that exists, the next logical need would be the proper cataloging and/or storage of these profiles (as noted by Matt and Piotr earlier). Then finally I think it would be nice to have the opportunity to select "Custom Settings" for Materials and Fill of the Profile to differentiate between Profiles that are unique and those where it is advantageous to change globally.

PS -- Thank you all for your continued posts on improving the Profile Manager.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
SmileyMan wrote:
Additionally I think the product 'OBJECTiVE' does a great job at creating extrusions from Fills. However, the downside of this tool is that the Fills are not stored internally and only useable by manual placement -- not globally available once created.
Could you expand on this a bit, i.e. how would you like it to work ideally?
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote: "Might be worth "bumping" that wish topic."
Ok, I voted for the bump.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Verry good wish . Custom profiles for all archicad entities or inteligent objects class . Is posiible to use CALL comand in gdl for extruding profiles on a simple path .
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree. I'd love to see door and window casings able to access the profiles in Profile Manager. We really need something more than just flat casing!
Learn and get certified!