BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Fast Way of Drawing Walls in a House?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi There,
What would be the fastest method to draw walls in Archicad 13 for a domestic house?

Do you think Archicad could do it allot faster?

What is your opinion?

Thanks,

Manuel Trantalis Home Designs.

22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Set Extend...to single key shortcuts for really fast operations.
Extend?
Sorry I meant "Adjust". Too many softwares in my head.
Arcadia
Booster
I don't find 'drawing' walls slow or inconvenient. The tracker, drag, drag & copy and marquee commands make things all very simple. I dont see how using zones and magic wand would be quicker - design the walls the way they need to be then magic wand the zones or slabs. I find the design process is a piecemeal approach (I do initial sketches by hand anyway to start off with) and I like being able to get all walls in position adjusting and modifying as I go before I add other elements. How can you add a zone if you don't know what the final room size will be? You would be constantly readjusting the size of the zone or you would find yourself adjusting both the zone and the walls which is making more work. Also I work with complex profiles and the external walls can't be just magic wanded to the slab as the slab is smaller than the actual building perimeter and aligns with the internal seperator lines one of the skins of my complex wall. Also if the external walls have to be sized for a modular building product (bricks in my case) its better to start with those first anyway.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your comments Arcadia,
All posts are welcome here to show how you use ArchiCAD to produce walls quickly.

The program has lots of flexibility in to suit different ways of doing things.

I am very interested in how others are going about it to compare it with what I am doing as we may find other ways to do it more quickly.

Magic wand has its place with overlapping fills or shapes and may be ideal for producing a square inset entry or porch.

On more complex free form designs it might not be the right way to go.

I tend to use the grid snap mode set to 10mm increments as well as the copy drag command, extend wall, join walls etc and the basics.

I wonder if I am using the marquee tool enough in my work like others are here.

Any Tips?
Learn and get certified!