Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Custom Object Editing

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Is there an easy way to stretch a part of a custom object? Or should i learn GDL to be able to do that?

(For example a U shaped object composed of walls, which i can change the length of the bottom part without scaling the wall width)
6 REPLIES 6
Erich
Contributor
While this is easily done with scripted GDL objects, custom parts made out out standard ArchiCAD elements and saved as object do not have this capacity. They are all written with a scale factor for the width, length and height of the object but as you have seen this affects the object globally.

HTH
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
To stretch library parts (aside from the overall proportional stretching Erich refers to) requires GDL. Hand scripted parts typically have some dimensional parameters already included. Auto scripted parts (made from bits assembled in ArchiCAD and saves as a library part) can be edited if they are saved as editable scripts.

Whether this is easily done depends on your facility with GDL and the complexity of the task.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you very much for the replies.

I handled the object making, and opening it. But that script part is just confusing for me.

I think for a proper use of Archicad (in my case at least), editable components is a must. So, any advise for how to start?
Erich
Contributor
To get parts with the flexibility you desire, you will either need to learn GDL, or be prepared to do a lot of extra modeling.

It is not hard at all, it just takes a little practice. Once you have learned some basic GDL you will find that ArchiCAD will make much more sense too. If you want to try this task, I would suggest getting a copy of the GDL Cookbook (you can find version 3.99 here www.nottingham.ac.uk/~lazwww/cookbook/ and version 4.0 here www.archicad.ca/?p=84 )
I find that the earlier version covers some thing the later doesn't and visa-versa.

I would also suggest start opening and looking at various parts once you learn some basics from the cookbook. However, I suggest that many of the Graphisoft parts are not written in a way that is easy to understand for a beginner, so looking at third party parts might be a better choice. Personally, I find Oliver Dentan's (pagesperso-orange.fr/archilib.od/) parts quite clear to understand and a good choice to review. There are also some good parts in the Object Depository archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/object_depository.php?

Finally, this forum is a great place to get information and/or help when you get stuck.

HTH
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can also get the GDL Handbook from Cadimage. I haven't had a look at it yet, but these guys do excellent work and I would be surpised if this is an exception.
Erich
Contributor
I have the GDL Handbook and it is fantastic.

However, I don't think I would recommend it for someone just starting out as it has some assumptions about a basic level of knowledge. From the intermediate level (or at least advanced beginner) up however, it is one you should have in your library.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
27" iMac Retina 5K