Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Windows with curved/arched tops

Anonymous
Not applicable
I want to put a curved roof on a building & then put a window in with multiple vertical & horizontal mullions that will match the curve of the roof. The wall is vertical and only curves to meet the roof. It does not curve in plan. Is there an object out there that will do this? I checked at objects online and I only saw one window object that looked like it had a straight flat top to it and not the arched or curved top I'm looking for. Does what I need exist in an object or would I just make a window out of walls and trim to roof??
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks,
Michele
8 REPLIES 8
TomWaltz
Participant
The easy way is to place an over-sized window that goes completely past the roof, then either "trim to roof" or to make the roof Boolean out the Wall with "upward subtraction."

This would give you an outline of what the window looks like, then you will need to place in a top frame. (either model or draw in Elevation view)
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
So I could use a storefront or curtain wall window in a wall then trim the wall to the roof and then just add the top mullion??? It's that easy!!!! REally. I've got to try this. Hopefully this will work.

Thanks,
Michele
TomWaltz
Participant
We did something like that last week.

Just make sure you include doors and windows on the "Trim to Roof" Menu.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Michele wrote:
I want to put a curved roof on a building & then put a window in with multiple vertical & horizontal mullions that will match the curve of the roof. The wall is vertical and only curves to meet the roof. It does not curve in plan. Is there an object out there that will do this? I checked at objects online and I only saw one window object that looked like it had a straight flat top to it and not the arched or curved top I'm looking for. Does what I need exist in an object or would I just make a window out of walls and trim to roof??
Thanks,
Michele
Hi Michele,

I just had a case like this, where I have an eliptical shaped roof, and I wanted the windows to follow. Using Theometric's Door & Window Builder it was a cinch ( once I got the invaluable assistance of Andrew Watson at Theometric Support to show me how).

Included is a view of the finished product in an unfinished model

HTH

Naftali
Anonymous
Not applicable
I
Included is a view of the finished product in an unfinished model

HTH

Naftali
Let's try that again !
1ellipse.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
And one more view from the side

Naftali
Anonymous
Not applicable
Michele wrote:
I want to put a curved roof on a building & then put a window in with multiple vertical & horizontal mullions that will match the curve of the roof....
Thanks,
Michele
Fastwindow will create an arch - available at Objects Online. So simple you will not ned any help to do it.

Another method you should b aware of is creating the shape flat in the plan view then converting to a window library object. You should find a detailed method in the Graphisoft site. I use this for unusual/irregular shapes that I will not need again. Once you get the hang of it is simple and fast.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would think walls and slabs would be faster than creating your own library part. And now that I know I can trim a window to a roof, I'll do that and then add a top mullion. Very fast, easy ,and looks good. Exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Michele