BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Materials for Empty Openings?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I hope I'm not missing something obvious here...but I am trying to colour the frame on a series of empty openings in an AC12 project. I can't find anything in the forums about this, which tends to mean I'm being a bit slow

The picture below shows what I'd like to end up with, because multiple openings occupy the same wall I'd like to avoid having to split walls and change the edge material at each instance.

The door selection settings for "Empty Opening" has a field under "Model" from which I can change materials, and a tick box for "Use Object's Materials" but this is having no effect??

Thank you for your help
7 REPLIES 7
TMA_80
Enthusiast
roll: i thought the model option was the solution but obviously it doesn't work !

there is a way to do what you want but only in 3d with the SEO, using the cube object substracted from the wall. make sure you have choosen " inherit attributes of operator"

in 2d it is more problematic. you could make the cube object slightly bigger than the opening to see the color... (if you want to have the opening showing in 2d)

one thing is sure, it is not the best way...a modiified window object would be great ! :
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have had this problem too when I wanted to have different materials on the inside and on the outside of the window opening. I ended up building a small "cladding skin" frame of 0,1 cm thick slabs and walls on one side, around the opening. A bit of work but if you don´t have too many openings in different sizes it might be a solution.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the feedback, I've considered SEO's but we need the opening to show in plan as well.

I guess the main problem is that it is a planning proposal at present, so the openings may well move around with development. If we used slices of walls and slabs to create a cladding skin it would then create problems everytime openings change...

At present I've duplicated the empty opening gdl object, and am trying to rescript it to put a material finish on the cut surfaces...but my gdl knowledge isn't great, and the edge isn't part of the object...it's a part of the wall...

I'm trying to script for the 3D, a series of planes which sit flush against the sliced walls, essentially creating a wall edge veneer in 3D....?

Any gdl advice would be greatly appreciated!
TMA_80
Enthusiast
you may try this library
http://odcompteur.ovh.org/od/downloadod.php5?Fichier=new%20stuff/new%20objets/ArchiLib8-Eng.lib.zip

( once added in Archicad, choose framing_w_o window) and alter the casement dimension and give it a material in the parameters tab.
Capturer.JPG
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Erika Epstein
Booster
You can use the empty framed opening 'WEmpty 13'. Set the frame to minimal depth.
Each door/window can have its frame set to its own color/material as in your image.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
TMA_80
Enthusiast
& for the parameters tab
Capturer2.JPG
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Erika Epstein
Booster
I see several TMA and I are thinking along the same lines 🙂
You can also use any door, panel choice set to 'Empty',
minimize and/or turn off casing and frame,
turn threshold on extended both sides but set its dimensions to not go past the wall and again all dimensions to 0 or fake it with .001"
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Learn and get certified!