Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Woud these shading devices ' work ' ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've placed a few shading devices directly above my windows, but I'm not sure if they will work. I mean, they are suppose to cast shadows when the sun if at a certain point in the sky but because the windows are staggered would it have the same effect/result ?

I've looked at placing horizontal shades on the internal side of the window that can also act as blinds, but this makes it look like prison bars and again, due to the window shape you would need multiple blinds.

Any comments are appreciated, Thank You.

Screen shot 2010-02-16 at 15.49.23.png
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you are not getting shadows when you think you should be, confirm you have set the north direction of the project correctly, and also the location and time.

Those two sides of the building may be facing north and therefore not be receiving any direct sunlight, depending on the time of year.

Another option is that the time is set before sunrise or after sunset.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, there are shadows cast inside the building, but they are not lines which is what I though the shading device would cause. The front of the building is south facing, project north is on default and the time and location should be providing enough sunlight.

I've also turned off the shading layer to remove the louvers to see if that makes a difference to the shadows, but I can't say that it does.
Thank You
Anonymous
Not applicable
I use Internal Engine with shadows (with contours) on, and create the sun study from the 3D window, not Render window. Works well and is quick.

Snapshot below.
Erika Epstein
Booster
If you are using the Lightworks engine, you need to turn off the sun in the 3D imaging settings box. Instead place the SUN object (use the lamp tool to find it) along with general light etc.

I know Dwight Atkinson has posted how to place these lights so do a search. You might also buy his book

If you are doing sun studies, rather than renderings and mostly interested in showing the shadows, you can use the IE as Stuart suggests.

Take a look at Dwights posts though first.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
I seem to be able to get a better result in artlantis in terms of the shadows however, when I export as a artlantis 3 file, the shape of the building is completely distorted. If I export as a artlantis 2 file, the form is perfect but the building is masked in black.

Why could this be happening ?

Thank You
Anonymous
Not applicable
NStocks,
Did you try the IE 3D solution Stuart mentioned, with attention to the Vectorial Sun Shadows switch, and the City and North settings per Peter's post?
Be nice to know if you've got the original question solved.

Snap