Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Work environment special folders VS Windows

piton
Newcomer
Hello,

We are working in a small office with 5 computers connected to a server. The server is configured so that anyone can login to his personal windows workspace from any machine. This is achieved by downloading the complete "document and settings" folder at login.
By default, Archicad stores temporary data in "document and settings".
I just tried AC13 demo, had a bugreporter during teamwork conversion, which left 1 GB data (libraries) in "document and settings", and took 30 minutes to login to windows the next day... ok, trivial solution #1 upgrade the server.
Trivial solution #2 is to specify temporary folders on my computer in AC work environment. But, i cannot modify the default 3 profiles, only create new ones. As i experienced in AC12, the profile a file opens with is seemingly random (one has to take care to select the correct profile on each file open).

Is there a way to configure AC13 so that the default profiles' temporary folders are custom, so that there is no chance that someone accidently opens a file with a badly configured profile and ends up logging in 30 minutes the next day?
Or is there a way to configure Windows that Archicad's "documents and settings" is in a different folder?

As I see, there is a folder "documents and settings/user/application data/graphisoft/version" that is user-specific, that's all right in its place.
And another folder "document and settings/user/Graphisoft" the contents of which are temporary and i would like to see that at a different place.

I hope I explained correctly and you have some hints.

3 REPLIES 3
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I have not tested this so this may not be correct info:
The default Work Environment Profiles are located in:

C:\Program Files\Graphisoft\ArchiCAD 13 INT\Defaults\ArchiCAD\WorkEnvironment\Profiles

I think when AC starts it loads the default Work Environment from these folders.

Try to modify those XML files, including the XML for the Profile and the XML for the Company Standards.
I guess you could save the schemes and Profile the way you want it, then in Windows Explorer change their name to the names AC uses and then overwrite the default files with these files.
It may work but you will have to try.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
piton
Newcomer
Thanks, it works, but a bit trickyer.

AC uses the data from "C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Graphisoft\ArchiCAD 13.0.0 HUN R1" which contains the work environments generated from the default XML, but its in .bin format.

The XML you said sadly doesn't contain the <TeamworkLocalCacheFolderLoc> tag, which would be the most important to me.

If I export the default workspace from AC to XML, it contains, but the
<SpecialFolders> attribute becomes <SpecialFolders Version="1">, and has a different GUI.

So I edited the original default XML, added Version="1", <TeamworkLocalCacheFolderLoc>..., <IsDefaultTeamworkLocalCacheFolderUsed>0, the corresponding</...> tags. Then deleted "C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Graphisoft\ArchiCAD 13.0.0 HUN R1" as if it were a clean instalation, and it works.

I attach the XML as a sample for others.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Nice job.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27