BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Drawing walls by reference

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry for the very basic question. Attached screenshot should indicate clearly my question - how to begin and end a wall (or any other element) by reference to already drawn elements?

I have read a few prior posts which are close to what I am looking for, but solutions are not working for me. Thank you for your help.
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry, having a hard time attaching screenshot, trying again
Anonymous
Not applicable
To quickly answer your question - go to AC Help and in the search field, type this in: Special Snap Points on Temporary Vector

This will show you where you can find the icon to help you in this type of location input. Except, you would be using the Special Snap option of Half instead of the Division shown in the Help example.

As for ending the wall 8 feet away from another wall, I would draw the wall all the way to the inside face of Wall C so that my tracker input shows the distance, then intercept it by hitting pressing r or d on the keyboard to input my own number 8 feet less than the number shown in tracker.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you ksymons,

Your tips allow me to do what I am trying to do, a bit cumbersome, but both the tips for both the start and end point work.

How would I start a wall -3',-8' from another wall intersection?

Thanks again
Anonymous
Not applicable
For the half-way point, look for the button highlighted below in the Control Box palette (Windows> Palettes> Control Box from menu).

Not knowing the keystrokes necessary for imperial dimensions I will describe it in metric - you can translate....

To start at a point relative to a know point, with Tracker turned on, hover cursor over your reference point to get the tick cursor, type "X 3 -" then "Y 8 -" then hit Enter (without the quotes or the spaces) and your cursor will jump to the relative spot. You can do the same with + (plus) instead of - (minus) to move in the opposite direction.

I also prefer this to ksymmonds method of subtracting from the displayed dimension, as it is more accurate.

So for your example above you would do the following:
- select the wall tool
- select the half way button in the Control Box palette
- click on the end of the wall D
- click on wall B at the point perpendicular to first click
- (wall starts)
- drag cursor to right, constraining with shift key, till you get perpendicular cursor at wall C
- without clicking, type x8- [Enter]

Your new wall will be complete.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you s2art,

I have tried following your instructions,
- drag cursor to right, constraining with shift key, till you get perpendicular cursor at wall C
- without clicking, type x8- [Enter]
No matter how many times or how many variations I am able to come up with, this results in a wall which is 8 units, or negative units units from my start point, not my intended reference point. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks
Erika Epstein
Booster
Place your local origin alt/opt+shift on one edge of the opening. Since you know the size of the opening,
-activate the wall tool,
-type in x and y coordinates to the center of the opening
- and once you hit enter you will start drawing your wall.

HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Paul:

Also, since you are using Imperial units:
The first "-" you type after a number is interpreted as a separator between feet & inches, the second "-" determines direction, so if you are trying to enter 8'-0" as a negative distance you would type "8--" (the lack of a second number between the two "--" will be interpreted as 0 inches).

HTH

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you David, the double dash made the difference, can now accomplish my task.

Paul
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah, sweeeet! Didn't know about the double negative. I learned something new, too!
Learn and get certified!