Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Not Saving

Brett Brown
Advocate
Has anyone had this happen when saving? I do a file-save, wait while it does, then when finished I go file-exit, up pops the box asking me if I want to save. I save again.

This is happening about 90% of the time on different files as well. Also the auto-save is taking about 10 seconds as well, same as the save. 50mb file.

Is this amount of time normal for 13? Don't remember it ever being this long on files this size in previous versions. No hotlinks.
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
6 REPLIES 6
Chazz
Enthusiast
yup.

Saves also fail a lot in 13. It's really disconcerting.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Brett,

I see you are on Windows 7. We have found that Windows 7's file indexing system (and also some virus protection software) is sometimes responsible for the slowness of ArchiCAD's autosave. Try disabling indexing for ArchiCAD's autosave folder. To do that:
* go to Control Panel
* select Indexing Options
* click Modify
* Browse for [System Drive]/users/[your username] and
* Uncheck the Checkbox for the Graphisoft folder
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Brett Brown
Advocate
Thankyou Gergely, Saving working normally and autosave down to a couple of seconds. Would you recommend all users using Win7 doing this?
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Actually, yes. Since it is unlikely that you will ever search for something in that folder, disabling indexing will not do any harm, while it does help autosave speed. I am glad it helped.
Gergely Kmethy
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Is this an issue for Mac users as the Mac OS also does continuous undexing?
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I am not familiar with the inner depths of spotlight, but I don't think it indexes the Userhome/Library/Application Support folder, where our autosave folder and other temporary information is stored. We never really had any issues with Spotlight since it was introduced in 10.4 Tiger. We did, however had issues in the past with other applications that scrutinize files, like Norton Antivirus for Mac.
Gergely Kmethy