BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Rename Object is possible?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, I wonder if I can rename objects.
Like - "D1 13" to "Normal Door" or "D2 Folding 13" to "Bedroom Door" ?

Did I make myself clear?

Thank you in advance.

Paulo

Mac osx10.5.8, AC13
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you mean to tag instances in the project then the simplest (and probably best) way is to use the IDs. These are limited to 15 characters though. If you need more you can use one of the listing parameters.

I am assuming you don't mean to change the file name of the library part (which you can do) since the names you suggest wouldn't make sense for this.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was assuming exactly that (libray parts), but I see your point.
How do you do this?

Thank you
Anonymous
Not applicable
keep in mind that the ones I mentioned were just examples 🙂
Anonymous
Not applicable
A picture worth a thousand words.

See, what I mean?
Picture 4.png
Erika Epstein
Booster
You can use the ID field, or under Parameters for Listing use one of the parameters there for calling it what you want.
Schedules can be set up to use this parameter.
Labels can call the ID.

Or, is there another way you want to use this name?

HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
ok, that works too.
I was thinking in the library part, when i decided to ask, because as you see, sometimes it gets confusing to choose the object by name.

Thank you.
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you need to find parts by their IDs you can use Find & Select or the Scheduler. If you use the listing parameters you have to use the scheduler.

BTW: The scheduler is a great way for managing instances like this. I use it all the time to make sure that wall, column, door IDs, etc. are all correct. It also works with zones, which seems particularly useful in your case. You can run a schedule of all the parts you want to ID including their zones (rooms) and you can edit the IDs right there.

I have attached a screen shot of the scheduler with a couple of zones and some chairs.
Schedule IDs by Zones.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Mathew and Erika, you did show me a way to solve another of my question. I will use your way of doing this. 🙂
But my question remain like I show you in the picture.
When I download some objects, from Germany or Sweden , like the ones
in the picture, I do not remember the name of the object as you can imagine. I only try to speak 3 languages
If I could change the name will be easier to remember when I see it.
But after your answers, I got the meaning for not to change it.
Those are like root objects, you change it and store it in your favorites for future use.
Picture 5.jpg
Erika Epstein
Booster
While you could, I would advise against it. Every time the library was updated you would have to rename the individual objects. Think of them as generic parametric objects.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Learn and get certified!