BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Importing texture files with 3ds models

Anonymous
Not applicable
I read on site that I can import 3ds files using 3dstudio add-on. I downloaded it, and imported object in AC but everything is grey. I don't have any texture on the model, but i got a folder with textures for that object. My question is if anybody knows how to import those textures with 3ds file?
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Davor wrote:
I read on site that I can import 3ds files using 3dstudio add-on. I downloaded it, and imported object in AC but everything is grey. I don't have any texture on the model, but i got a folder with textures for that object. My question is if anybody knows how to import those textures with 3ds file?
did you add these textures to library of archicad ? /embedded/
All textures that you want to use must be part of archicad activve library
i dont have probles like yours...it must be your error !

check pic....this is 3ds file imported in archicad 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
I admit that i have forgoten to import jpg files in library, but now i have than that and nothing hepens. I reloaded library and nothing. here is my picture!
enterijer.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
one more
1.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
This really annoys me. I'm downloading objects from archibase in 3ds format. And all of these objects are just grey without textures. Is there anybody to help me with this, for me, big promlem. I would appreciate that!
Stress Co_
Advisor
Post a link to what you downloaded.
I'll give it a go and see if it works the same for me.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Stress Co_
Advisor
I couldn't download the file from that link.
Adding the toolbar takes me to archibaseplanet (which I've used before) and that file (Car Audi N111108) isn't available.

There's a couple of Audis at Archive3d.

By the way... do you have "Use Object's Materials" checked in the "model" setting> withn the "object Selection Settings"?
Marc Corney, Architect

Anonymous
Not applicable
I haven't made any progrees in my work with 3ds objects. I will explain now the whole my procedure, and I would like somebody to tell me what am I doing wrong. First I download object for expample this one
http://archive3d.net/?a=download&id=17413
than I extract 3ds file. But there's a gsm file too, which I dont extract because there's the same problem with textures. After I extract 3ds in AC go
file-file special-import 3d studio file-convert 3ds to gdl objects-open file
and that's all. Then file is in library and on the picture bellow see what I got. I will attach how looks settings for this object. I need help and I think that you will understand what should I do.
I forgot to mention that in lot of those files which i download there's no folder with textures, but I downloaded few with it, and the same problem. And if you want to ask me did I loaded texture files (jpg) in library, yes I did.
Stress Co_
Advisor
I got the same as you.
If you open the Parameters tab in the "object selection settings" and change "use AC mMaterial" to ON..... you can then select a material.
Marc Corney, Architect

Learn and get certified!