BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Is this possible without knowing the individual dimensions?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I have a site that I'm using for my next Uni project and we are required to crete a 3D mode of it. The front of my site has already a existing building on it which is currently a shopfront, dating back from 1821. I only know the overall measurement of the width and height of this shop front, with no idea what the measurements of the individual pieces of stone work are.

Is it possible to create this building, without knowing these measurements as I'm not able to physically measure them, and the Local Council ( probably ) does not have the individual dimensions of the details.

Thank You

Nathan
11 REPLIES 11
Dwight
Newcomer
Can you take more photos from the front?
Can you use a shift lens to minimize distortion?

Place a surveyor's mast in the image to scale the shot.

Stretch the mage into a perfect rectangle in Photoshop and then place in an Archicad elevation view to scale.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
as above.. just put a scale on an image and work from there. iv done it a few times before
Anonymous
Not applicable
Great ideas !

The building and space behind the shop is going to be used for an art house cinema, ( Uni project, it's not actually going to happen ) so I think it may be a nice idea to keep the stone work... but I'm not sure yet.

The east and west elevations of this building, both have shops at the side of them ( as shown ), so when I come to drawing these elevations, what would I actually put there because you can't see them ( I image you must put something there )

Thank You
Dwight
Newcomer
NStocks wrote:
what would I actually put there because you can't see them ( I image you must put something there )
Try to imagine a pixie and a unicorn.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
NStocks wrote:
what would I actually put there because you can't see them ( I image you must put something there )
Try to imagine a pixie and a unicorn.
Haha, seriously though... If you can't physically see a elevation, what would you put? I know that it is brickwork either side of my proposed building...
Anonymous
Not applicable
i would normally draw the outer shell, and the details i can see/know are there. then the parts that are hidden by other buildings or shared walls (are they hard against each other?) i would normally put a hatched fill over the area and note it accordingly. "zero lot" "shared wall" "hidden" etc...
Anonymous
Not applicable
i was looking at this product a while ago: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?id=11390028&siteID=123112

they may have a student version available.
Anonymous
Not applicable
kombibob wrote:
i was looking at this product a while ago: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?id=11390028&siteID=123112

they may have a student version available.

Autodesk !!!

I'm re-thinking the concept of keeping the existing frontage... It is a fairly closed in space for what will be a small cinema, and I don't think it will help me in terms of the layout and design.

As for the elevations, the wall is not shared, adjoining dwellings have their own walls, so I will just hatch them as brick work as you mentioned. It's only around 40% of the structure that is ' closed' in by other building, the rest is open space ( car park area) which means a interesting us of windows for the play of light ... I'm thinking Le Corbusier's Villa Savoye ' ribbon' windows will work well.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Why don't you use SketchUp to model it and import it into ArchiCAD? SketchUp is really easy when it comes to adjusting images on faces. But don't try the answer to that on this forum
Learn and get certified!