BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Creating different wall types & then using it as a favorite

Anonymous
Not applicable
Newbie here, so I apologize for my lack of understanding.
Trying to move from Revit to ArchiCad...so here goes.
How do I create a wall that shows specific components (drywall, wood stud, sheathing,exterior metal panel...or any other combination of materials as I need to make new wall types).
I would like these components to show up in a 2x6 wall and a 2x4 wall; do I need to make 2 different wall types or just adjust the wall types thickness as I use it?
How do I make it a favorite for later use or add it to a library?
I am used to "creating wall types" in Revit 2010; meaning assigning structure and thickness, membranes, skin and thickness, etc. So, I am kind of stuck in that mindset right now.
If there are any resources I could be directed to to see how this procedure is done I would appreciate it. If not, explain it to me in simple terms.
Gratitude in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
Kristen
Participant
In archicad you use composite fills. You create a composite fill for each wall type that is composed of fills and lines representing each component of the entire wall, then you choose this as the cut fill for the wall when you model the wall. You can read about composite fills in the help menu.
There are other factors that you need to consider like skin priorities so that walls meet correctly but start looking at composite fills and see if you can figure that out.
Kristen Broberg
AC 23 SWE Full on Windows 10 Pro
HP Zbook 15 G6 32GB
i7-9850H 2,6GHz
Quadro M2200 2GB
www.liljewall.se
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rick Thompson
Expert
One thing to remember about using composites and favorites. If you make a bunch of walls in one pln, then open a new pln, those walls want be there on there own, even if they show up under favorites.. (you would also need to load you Favorite file as those are pln specific. I typically keep a running Fav file, and every time I create a new fav I reexport that Fav file ("myfav.prf") to a designated folder of exported list and other .xml files for AC). I also keep a template pln open at all times, and use that to make or adjust an composite wall I regularly use. I will actually make a new one in that, and not the pln I need it for. I am regularly updating my files with by opening Attribute Manager and loading my template file and overriding the composites. Some people on the forum say you should never override but append. It can create trouble, but if you are consistent you'll generate a vert good work flow and all building types will share common components. This might be more important fro me that the average user as I deal with stock plans. But, I know this works and builds a complete template in the long run. I have files started in 4.5 that are now running smooth in 13.

So, use Attribute manager to integrate many composites to a new pln, or keep a developed template(S) to start with. You can also copy/paste composites into your new pln. Use Favorites to access composites that are already in that pln.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Rick Thompson
Expert
Oh.. in case you didn't see it, it is easy to make .. say a 2x6 wall by duplicating the 2x4 wall and changing the core thickness. You don't need to start from scratch. Good to know what you start with is right though (as above.. skin priorities, line weights etc
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Learn and get certified!