BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone heard something about Archicad 14?

what new or improved features or release date or something?

Thanks
107 REPLIES 107
NandoMogollon
Advocate
Marc wrote:

As a user of AC since AC6 the sad truth is that I can find in excess of five Revit staff for every one Archicad staff member. If AC market share doesn't change it won't matter which program is better.

It is getting harder to justify keeping Revit in the box (where it has been for the past 5 years).
I second this Marc, I have seen the improvements on Revit 2010/2011, and I can tell you its start looking very provocative... I really thought AC was going to be there first.

GS should be worried somehow, because some of us as BIM/CAD managers, can convince the principals to move to Revit.

And the problem for us, choosing a VB (BIM) platform or IFC Platform is that we're no longer up front. We where first when Autocad was Autodesk's main product, and Revit was too weak.
Let's face it Revit weak? not anymore.
Unless AC show really good improvements to keep on the pace with Revit we will be the god old guys that like scripting GDL and developed great things in the good early days of Virtual Building.
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
Anonymous
Not applicable
every archicad user knows revits potential and has seen its improvement of the years.............................
what we need to hear from graphisoft is basic: are they willing to set a new standard way beyond revit or ......................
Anonymous
Not applicable
really?

do you think GS will disclose anything?

those who have used AC for a long time will tell you GS is rather like Apple and little gets out from the mothership.

from time to time there are posts on the forum from people asking for this info. but frankly even if GS said something, I am so disillusioned with their marketing I don't think I would believe it.

IMHO we are at (if not for some time now) the tipping point where any reasonable comparison will effectively rule Revit over ArchiCAD for any new user (remove Apple vs Windows argument from the discussion).

A lot of ArchiCAD users are sticking with ArchiCAD because of the investment they have made in the software and in-houses systems, so what I am watching closely is - at what point do existing users start bailing from the platform?
Feature comparisons aside, more recent developments include:
- Clients demanding a Revit BIM solution
- Authorities demand a Revit BIM solution
- the whole consultant team can work in one package, natively, with no translators
- Industry supports native parts (*.RFAs are becoming available everywhere - unlike *.GSMs!)
- Competent Revit users are easier to find than ArchiCAD ones

Then I really do wonder how relevant "promising new features" is anyhow?!
Dwight
Newcomer
Attached find artwork proposal for Revit's marketing t-shirt after their spies saw Archicad 14.
Dwight Atkinson
NandoMogollon
Advocate
Dwight, Can I have a Cap?
Please?

Nando
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight can i call the spies?
Anonymous
Not applicable
NandoMogollon wrote:
Marc wrote:

As a user of AC since AC6 the sad truth is that I can find in excess of five Revit staff for every one Archicad staff member. If AC market share doesn't change it won't matter which program is better.

It is getting harder to justify keeping Revit in the box (where it has been for the past 5 years).
I second this Marc, I have seen the improvements on Revit 2010/2011, and I can tell you its start looking very provocative... I really thought AC was going to be there first.

GS should be worried somehow, because some of us as BIM/CAD managers, can convince the principals to move to Revit.

And the problem for us, choosing a VB (BIM) platform or IFC Platform is that we're no longer up front. We where first when Autocad was Autodesk's main product, and Revit was too weak.
Let's face it Revit weak? not anymore.
Unless AC show really good improvements to keep on the pace with Revit we will be the god old guys that like scripting GDL and developed great things in the good early days of Virtual Building.

Hmm maybe we should be shorting ArchiCAD stock?
think i'll pass on the Revit shirt tho 😉
Anonymous
Not applicable
Version 13 is the first version i have not even installed in my computer
I was "forced" to upgrade before i had a chance to see what is new in AC13.

I will not do that mistake now. I will wait for 14 (and not pay the subscription before i see what i got for 14).

If 14 is again a completely useless upgrade for me (working alone and not in a big firm), i will probably make the jump over to Revit, or stop upgrading at all for some time.

AC is not improving (at least for my needs). It makes me pay again and again for plugins i have paid already, just for a recompilation....and much more..

If nothing surprising happens with 14, i think my voyage with AC stops here.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow! - all this pessimistic talk.
As a long-time vectorowks user I continue to be amazed at the power of AC - and how backwards it feels when I have to go back into VW. AC of course has its shortcomings - which random clicks around these forums will bring up. However I'm very optimistic about the potential of AC - but that potential needs to be turned into electricity.
I bought my first mac in 1997 - right around the time that Apple looked like a gonner - then in came a tyrant emperor who put the company on the straight and narrow towards what it has become today.
As backwards as VW feels it is brilliant at 2D, has been re-engineered with a powerful 3D engine, has a large user base and is owned by the same parent company as GS - but nothing, nada in the way of strategy between AC and VW.
Instead of having VW masquerade as 'BIM' (no way can it stand next to AC/Revit/Bentley) - celebrate it for what it does best and offer a clear route to true BIM - in the form of ArchiCAD.
For long time AC users I hope you get some of the features you have been wishing for in v14 - but for the overall health of AC I hope they can do something (simple?) for newbies - robust out-of-the-box support for VW files - in and out. It would be great if that is achieved via a 3D engine upgrade to parasolid as well.
Then Nemetschek could start (at least) behaving like a single company and not a self-destructive federation of competing units ... and VW offices could comfortably introduce 1, 2 or 100 seats of true BIM into their workflow.
Dwight
Newcomer
And you, with all of your naivety, point out yet more reasons to be pessimistic: the thinking behind Archicad and Vectorworks fails to muster in the face of the REVIT juggernaut.
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!