BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to avoid "screen tearing" in 3D window...?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Now that my machine has been spec'd up, and after acquiring a SpaceNavigator, I'm spending more time navigating around the 3D window.

Despite my turning on "Triple Buffering" & "Vertical Sync" in nVidia Control Panel, I'm still getting the disconcerting "screen tearing" when moving around.

Has anyone been able to eliminate this?
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
peter_h wrote:
Now that my machine has been spec'd up, and after acquiring a SpaceNavigator, I'm spending more time navigating around the 3D window.

Despite my turning on "Triple Buffering" & "Vertical Sync" in nVidia Control Panel, I'm still getting the disconcerting "screen tearing" when moving around.

Has anyone been able to eliminate this?
work in opengl
download latest drivers...
in my case i never use vertical sync cos it locks down FPS to 60. Unleash power of your graphic card
Tell me . . . do you recommend space navigator ??? I was thinking to get one . . .
Anonymous
Not applicable
NeckoFromSarajevo wrote:
. do you recommend space navigator ??? I was thinking to get one . . .
Yep, absolutely. Only US$50 for a fantastic device. You can fly around the 3D window using your left hand, and select objects with your right, without having to go back and forth into "orbit" or "explore" mode first (extra clicks and mousing).

Takes a bit of getting used to - it's very sensitive - but well worth the driving lessons.

Give it to any AC user to try for a week or two, and you'd never be able to get it back, I'm sure.

Unfortunately, it's not as useful in other apps as it could be, because it needs special drivers written for each program. They've promised a generic driver will be released shortly - but they've been promising that for years, by the look of the forums. But hell, if you've spent 1000's on your AC license, what's another $50 for the pleasure?

And I'm disappointed that its not supported in the 2D window for pan and zoom. Once you get one, you'll wonder why on earth they missed that one out - it so obviously would be a huge productivity boost.

In summary, just get one. You'll love it - even if you only use it solely in AC.

And if you do, make sure you try it in View > 3D Navigation extras > 3Dconnexion > Camera mode. (Took me a while to realise it was there, but once I found it, everything worked as I expected it to).
Anonymous
Not applicable
NeckoFromSarajevo wrote:
work in opengl
download latest drivers...
Yep, I believe I'm working in OpenGL. My 3D Window settings are attached.

As for updating drivers... Well, I've had nightmares with updating nVidia drivers when I last tried to do it, with them frequently showing blank screens in the AC 3D window. Finally went back to an old "officially recommended for AC12" version (v6.14.11.6921 5/12/2007) and haven't had any problems with blank screens since.
Anonymous
Not applicable
My Nvidia Control Panel settings, attached.
Anonymous
Not applicable
tell me man...do you use glases for stereo 3d mode ?
If not - its selected in your nvidia 3d setings !
disable that and try !
stereo display mode - TURN IT OFF

If not working then . . .
FIND on internet nvidia driver remover / search on 3dguru.com/
remove your drivers with that and try to install newest for your card
when you install them...adjast only resolution and refresh rate !
TURN OFF vertical sync / force off/

try then !

my space navigator is on the way !
Anonymous
Not applicable
Necko: Thanks - I'll give it another try.

The "Stereo" setting is not able to be "off" - it's just a preference for what monitor to use if the app does stereo rendering.

But first - tell me, when you're racing around the 3D window in AC, do you exhibit the tearing too? (I just want to know if it is actually possible to get rid of it, before I waste any time on it.)
Anonymous
Not applicable
peter_h wrote:
Necko: Thanks - I'll give it another try.

The "Stereo" setting is not able to be "off" - it's just a preference for what monitor to use if the app does stereo rendering.

But first - tell me, when you're racing around the 3D window in AC, do you exhibit the tearing too? (I just want to know if it is actually possible to get rid of it, before I waste any time on it.)
yes...i had that problem too...and its all about drivers of your graphic card
At work i work on ATI and i never had that problem
At home i have 9800 gtx and i had that problem

You are NOT supose to have that problem and there is solution for that for sure !

But plz try newest drivers and clean your system with http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

i hope that this will hp you !
Anonymous
Not applicable
Uninstalled drivers -> Rebooted into Safe Mode -> Ran DriverSweeper -> Rebooted -> Installed latest Nvidia drivers -> Rebooted -> Ran ArchiCAD > 3D Window

This didn't have any effect. Still the same screen tearing

Nvidia Control Panel > 3D Settings > Turn on Vertical Sync > Close Ac > Open AC.

Still screen tearing

Of note: Any changes in the "Nvidia Control Panel > 3D Settings" do not take effect until the whole AC application is closed and re-opened. It is not enough just to close the 3D window and re-open it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well yet again, the latest NVidia drivers turn out to be just bollocks. After my 4th lockup today, I'm going back to the reliable 2007 versions.

Every 3 or 4 months or so, I get a burst of optimism and download and install the latest nVidia driver. Every time, I end up de-installing because of unreliability.

Of course, the screen-tearing remains unsolved.

My next card will be an ATI.
Learn and get certified!