BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Global settings for MVO

Frank Beister
Advisor
AC 13 allows to create individual settings dialogs in the MVOs. These settings can be requested by all objects, which "know" the name of the dialog macro and of the parameter name. This is very helpful to do general changes.

But there is no limit how much settings dialogs are loaded in your library. And all will be part of the MVOs regardless, if objects use it or not. Worst case every object comes with its own settings dialog and it will become pain to dig through all sections of the MVOs.

So I have written an MVO settings object, which I offer for free and which can be used and shipped with own objects. You can download a beta/actual version here: OpenLibraryGlobals.

It is not open source to keep it in one (!) development-fork. It will be downloadable only from my page. I will regard wishes for new settings parameters. Updates of the OpenLibraryGlobals-object will not collide with objects, which use an older version.

The idea is to use one settings dialog for objects of different developers. If developers use this object for their own objects, I will add a www-link in the info dialog of the settings dialog. The unmodified OpenLibraryGlobals-object itself can be shipped with your own objects.

I will later provide code snippets you can implement in own objects to request the global settings. You have not to care to program an additional MVO-object for your own projects. Just add the OpenLibraryGlobals to your library and the requesting lines into your GDL-code.

Prior you are asking for setting parameters I should add: All setting parameters are useless, if objects do not request it.

-----------

Now my question:
I do need some help in translation and for two value lists for two parameters. I implemented one parameters to set the "planing context" and the "type of MVO".

This information can be used for objects to show different information or for automatic text in labels, zone stamps, layout or markers. (e.g. a shelf inside a closed cabinet has only to be created in a section context)

This list is depending of usage and loacalisation. There is a big difference between Germany an Austria yet. So I need help for UK / USA / AUS / NZ.

We can discuss it here or you send me an eMail.

My raw translated list shows you my intention.

Context:

"not assigned"
"Common"
" abandonment"
"Allowance"
"Plan of execution"
"...Ausschreibung/Vergabe"
"...Detailplanung"
"...Bauantrag"
"...Bauvoranfrage"
"Analyses"
"Documentation"
"Basic design"
"Facility Management"
"financing/funding"
"...Nutzungsantrag"
"Presentation"
"Project development"
"...Vermarktung"
"Preliminary design"
"Advertising"

Plan type:

"not assigned"
"Common"
"Elevation"
"Floor plan (materials)"
"Ceiling plan"
"Detail"
"Facade section"
"Plan of Design"
"Floor plan"
"Interior view"
"Isometry"
"Plan of site"
"Perspective"
"Inspection plan"
"Section"
"Plan for contract"
"Rendering"

Thanks for help.
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Frank,

Brilliant idea!
I'll add this great object to our ArchiCAD Warehouse developer kit.
So our partners will share the same MVO standards.
Everybody rowing in the same direction!

Cheers,

Paulo
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Hello Frank, Firefox gives a very good translation to your excellent resource, many thanks.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Barry Kelly
Having objects request the values of parameters from the MVO is a great new feature.
The only problem is the values are saved with each MVO scheme.
For example you may have a "Construction" scheme, "Presentation" or "Demolition" scheme to manipulate the model to appear as you want it.

The values for objects will need to be set for each of these schemes which could be quite tedious.

What we need is the same sort of thing but where the parameters are not saved in the MVO schemes but as a general setting for the file.
As discussed here some time ago - http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=31427

Basically a system like this not linked to the MVO schemes will give us unlimited GLOB_USER variables and eliminate the need for using external text files to store values.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Frank Beister
Advisor
Hello Barry,

you are right ... in some way. Global settings, which apply for the whole project are necessary, yes. We have this in the Project-Info, BUT not readable for GDL. If GS will change this and will increase number of parameters and will allow an GDL-object "behind" the parameters all will be good. It is necessary to ask for it.

But to customize MVOs is a great force to "program" your project. You can do changes for individual views on your project. I have waited for this a long time.

BTW Again my question: Can anyone help me by giving me a list of project phases, project context and plan context. Fitting for US/GB/AUS/NZ

This list could be very helpful to use in custom zone stamps, furnitures ...
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
Pertti Paasky
Expert
Does somebody know if it is possible to use an array as a libraryglobal?
- AC-24 FIN - WIN 10 - HP Zbook -
“A winner is just a loser who tried one more time.”
George M. Moore, Jr.
GAG
Advocate
Hi.
Thank you for accumulating settings from different developers, it's a good approach!

I want to provide Russian (RUS) translation of your list. It will be better translated if you provide some explanation what each word or sentence exactly means, coz there are many 'universal' words in the list. If you explain, I could find correct analogy in Russian terms.

Context (Контекст):

"не задано"
"Общий"
" заброшенный" * please, clarify
"Разрешение"
"План исполнения" (Plan of execution) * please, clarify
"...Ausschreibung/Vergabe" * please, clarify
"...Detailplanung" * please, clarify
"...Bauantrag" * please, clarify
"...Bauvoranfrage" * please, clarify
"Анализ"
"Документация"
"Basic design" * please, clarify
"Управление основными фондами"
"Финансирование" OR "Смета" * please, clarify
"...Nutzungsantrag" * please, clarify
"Презентация"
"Project development" * please, clarify
"...Vermarktung" * please, clarify
"Предварительный проект"
"Реклама"

Тип плана (Plan type):

"не задан"
"Общий"
"Фасад"
"План полов (материалы)"
"План потолков"
"Узлы"
"Сечение по фасаду"
"Plan of Design"
"План этажа"
"Внутренний вид"
"Изометрия"
"Ситуационный план" OR "Генеральный план" (masterplan)
"Перспектива"
"Inspection plan"
"Разрез"
"Plan for contract"
"Изображения"
George
Frank Beister
Advisor
Thanks for your effort GAG, but I can't add Cyrillic chars to the script.
GAG
Advocate
No unicode in GSM objects?
George
Frank Beister
Advisor
Not in scripts and in the UI. Maybe with XML Converter, but this would be no good development platform..
Learn and get certified!