Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Spiral roof

Anonymous
Not applicable
I need to create a spiral roof. By spiral I mean it should look like a straight slope, just on a arch-like plan. Like a wooden path around a mountain. So that beggining and ending edges are parallel to the ground. Is it possible in archicad?
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Look for the curved ramp objects in the standard AC Libraries...
Dwight
Newcomer
Another way that is easier to edit is to use a series of concentric, tapered meshes that form ramps.

Once the design is settled, convert the meshes to roof elements using the Mesh to Roof "Goodie" downloaded from the Graphisoft website Goodie link located under Archicad's Help Menu.

Archicad meshes can have curved sides ONLY on their perimeters, so you must create a series of ramps, one leading to the next to easily taper and bank the slope.
spiral roof.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you so much, I used "mesh to roof" and I got exacly what I wanted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Neat concept.

Wouldn't want to be the roofing contractor doing step flashing on that roof. 🙂 javascript:emoticon(':D')

Dwight's suggestion was a help to me on several of my adventure-roof projects.
Dwight
Newcomer
I never could have guessed so many folks were building their own towers of Babel.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
You have no idea ....

Every project I design becomes a tower of Babel. Isn't the expression "More is More." 🙂

I typically slope the roof to a corner rather than perpendicular to the ridge beam. I place valleys such that the water rolls to the corner. That way, all the water goes naturally to a scupper and downspout leading to a cistern or rain barrel for irrigation.

Framing contractors love my roofs.

I have a feeling I'll need your advice as I start doing it with hyperbolic paraboloids.

Being able to model them in advance has been a God-send.

B.S.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
kakapo wrote:
I need to create a spiral roof. By spiral I mean it should look like a straight slope, just on a arch-like plan. Like a wooden path around a mountain. So that beggining and ending edges are parallel to the ground. Is it possible in archicad?
You might find it useful to take a look at OBJECTiVE. This add-on provides additional flexibility for 3D modelling that seems well suited to the shapes you wish to model. For example (referring to the attached image), you could:
  • 1) Draw a cross-section through the spiral roof and use OBJECTiVE's profiling tools to create an object;

2) Use OBJECTiVE's tools to bend, offset, rotate etc, and/or set the object's parameters directly to suit the overall rise of the spiral, diameter, etc;

3) The example in 3D
The objects and tools provide a lot of flexibility for both creating and editing your designs.
Spiral.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch