BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex Profile problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've created a complex profile of a 10" block wall atop a concrete footing. I want to be able to stretch the wall vertically. Not the footing, just the wall. See my attached screenshot. I've placed the vertical stretch lines at the top of the wall and the top of the footing. I've turned the horizontal stretch off because I don't need to stretch it horizontally (check my screenshot to make sure I've done it correctly). All seems well, until I go to a section cut through the wall and try to stretch the wall vertically. The only option that shows up is a horizontal stretch! What am I doing wrong?

I'm very new to complex profiles so please bear with me.
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
Also remember that the wall won't stretch to be smaller than it is drawn in the profile editor.
Ok, so when drawing a foundation wall that you'd like to use in multiple projects, you should make it small (in height) knowing that you can always stretch it larger, correct?

This is not the case with my current wall issue though, I cannot make it larger either.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steven wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Also remember that the wall won't stretch to be smaller than it is drawn in the profile editor.
Ok, so when drawing a foundation wall that you'd like to use in multiple projects, you should make it small (in height) knowing that you can always stretch it larger, correct?
Yes. Always make adjustable profiles the smallest they will need to be.
Anonymous
Not applicable
2 unanswered questions...

1. Are the vertical stretch lines on my first post at the right location?

2. Can you stretch vertically in section?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steven wrote:
2 unanswered questions...

1. Are the vertical stretch lines on my first post at the right location?
Yes. The stemwall will stretch leaving the footing the same. In your other screen shot it looks like you may not have hotspots placed at the lower stretch line. This could cause problems.

2. Can you stretch vertically in section?
Walls no. Beams yes.
Stretch horizontally: Walls yes. Beams no.
Go figure.
Sections are old and quirky.
Anonymous
Not applicable
How do I get hotspots placed at the lower stretch line? I can place a hotspot but it goes on the construction layer. I've poured through the help menu and it mentions nothing about this.

If you cannot stretch a wall vertically in section, where do you stretch it vertically? It seems that the section would be the best place to do this...
Erika Epstein
Booster
Steve, your stretch marks are fine. Take a look at the screenshots here and the next post. In the section window you need only click on a CORNER node to active the stretch. From the pet palette select the type of stretch, vertical or horizontal, that you want.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Erika Epstein
Booster
and in the 3D window
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok got it. There must be something wrong with the profile I made because it's just not working. I'll go back to the drawing board...

Thanks to all for the help.
Learn and get certified!