BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Special Folders --> Temporary Folders

Chris Grantham
Advocate
So I have been getting all sorts of "connection failed" (see attached image), and "failed mount" (sorry no image) whenever I open projects on our server, and it occurred to me that it might have something to do with the special folders in the work environment. I was looking at the paths of everything and noticed that the "temporary items" by default was going somewhere that does not seem to exist:

Macintosh HD:private:var:tmp:folders.503:TemporaryItems

Is this right? If not, where should this folder reside? Could this be the source of all those annoying pop ups?

Thanks!

-Chris
16" MacBook Pro M1 Max
Mac OS 12.2.1
ArchiCAD 25 Build 6005
5 REPLIES 5
Erika Epstein
Booster
Chris,
You do have a static IP address?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Chris Grantham
Advocate
I probably should have been more clear when I used the term server. We have a mac mini that does all of our file hosting. We simply connect to it through the "network" feature on our macs, so i am guessing it is a dynamic IP.
16" MacBook Pro M1 Max
Mac OS 12.2.1
ArchiCAD 25 Build 6005
Erika Epstein
Booster
And I shouldn't have misread your post as a TW problem.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Karl Ottenstein
Chris wrote:
So I have been getting all sorts of "connection failed" (see attached image), and "failed mount" (sorry no image) whenever I open projects on our server, and it occurred to me that it might have something to do with the special folders in the work environment. I was looking at the paths of everything and noticed that the "temporary items" by default was going somewhere that does not seem to exist:

Macintosh HD:private:var:tmp:folders.503:TemporaryItems

Is this right? If not, where should this folder reside? Could this be the source of all those annoying pop ups?
Hi Chris,

That folder won't be causing the problem - as it refers to an area for temporary files on your local disk. While useful app files are stored in your Library > Application Support (and other) folders, temp files are stored elsewhere and hopefully cleaned up automatically. You can view (carefully!) any of these hidden Mac folders by using the "Go" menu in Finder. Do a Go > Go to Folder and enter "/private" without the quotes.

All of your WE special folders should refer to local folders on the machine, not the server with the exception of the Template Folder which might point to the server if you have company-specific template(s) that you've created for fresh projects.

Anyway, sounds like you might have an issue with your server going to sleep and not having 'wake on LAN' enabled maybe?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Chris Grantham
Advocate
Thanks for the responses everyone!

Checked our mac mini that acts as our server settings, and it is set to never go to sleep.
16" MacBook Pro M1 Max
Mac OS 12.2.1
ArchiCAD 25 Build 6005
Learn and get certified!