Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex Profile Question

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've made a 2x10 framing member with the CP tool. I've broken the rectangle into 4 triangular pieces so I can get the "X" in the middle of the rectangle. Problem is, when I cut a section and if it happens to be in the middle of the framing member, I get an unwanted line in the middle of the member. This line is there, I believe, because it's the point where the 4 triangles come together. Is there a way to do this to not show the line? I found a 2x framing member in the stock libraries, but it does the same thing when cut through, also I don't like it because you can't set the lineweight of the "X" different from the outer edges. What have others done here?
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable
Showing line through member
Erika Epstein
Booster
Interesting dilemma.
I would move the section so it doesn't cut through one of the members that is parallel to the line of the section.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nobody else has dealt with this? I would think this has happened to others and they have a workaround?
Erika Epstein
Booster
What you have done runs counter to convention. The convention is to NOT cut your section lengthwise through a beam, or wall etc.

If you insist on keeping your section where it is, then you could put a fill over the beam.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Arcadia
Booster
Seems to be a lot of trouble to go to when all you need to do is add 2 lines to your section view. How long does that take?
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Arcadia wrote:
Seems to be a lot of trouble to go to when all you need to do is add 2 lines to your section view. How long does that take?
The whole idea of going 3D is to eliminate drawing lines. I thought someone would have figured out a way to do this. I guess I was incorrect...
Arcadia
Booster
The whole idea of going 3D is to eliminate drawing lines.
This is true of course but only within reason. When it takes longer and is more complicated to model something that may appear only in one or 2 small places in the entire set of drawings then there is nothing wrong with drawing a couple of lines. I think you will find most users actually do a fair bit of linework when it comes to detailing and sections as the time involved is less than modelling everything and you have more control over the appearnce of important details. Hence why the cadimagetools rapid detailer is so good - makes doing 2D line and fill details much faster than working with native lines and fills. Even has an object for timber members that has 'cross' drawn on it that you can stretch over a beam in your section or detail view. Check it out at cadimagetools.com
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm looking into this same issue - how to show the 'X' of a cut wood plate in a complex profile wall section.

The more I read about it - it's probably easier to just draw two lines in section view than split into four fills and rename each one so it won't clean up with each other. That's a complicated and not much of a worthy work-around in my opinion. That brings me to ask - has anyone posted a wish to have complex profile lines to show in a section?

I'm not much of a programmer but how much trouble would it be to program it where lines placed on the Construction layer would be programmed to show in sections or wherever outside of C.P., and lines placed on the Drafting layer continue to serve the same purpose?

If no one has posted a similar wish, I'd be glad to post it and continue this discussion from that thread.

Thanks!
JaredBanks
Mentor
Steve,

I incorporate 2x framing in a lot of my complex profiles. To deal with this issue, I ascribe to Erika's opinion, don't cut through the beam like you are. If it's unavoidable, then mask. It if happens in a lot of places, don't include the X on that particular profile.

I guess another more complex option would be to switch the 'X' to a pen that can be turned to white in some sections, but then have 2 complex profiles 1 for e-w joists/beams (x = pen 210) and one for n-s joists/beams (x = pen 211). Then have 2 pen sets. On for e-w sections (one pen white, the other colored) and one for n-s sections (white/colored reversed). It'd be cumbersome, but all 3D.

As for the fills that make up the X. I use 3 (1 for top & bottom, 1 for the left side, 1 for the right side). That way you can put 2 joists/beams next to each other and they won't merge. No need to separate out the top and bottom.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome