Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

Portable TW2 workaround?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok Brainstrust I have an idea. I'm pretty sure it won't work but would like to know why not! ':wink:'

As a work-around to re-building the model and all BIM server libraries on my pc/mac at home which when using a VPN over here (down undah) can take way too long and chew up your data allocation, can I do something like this?

At the office on the network, using a portable hard-drive, set-up a new user, Me@home for example.
Join the TW2 project from the office - get the local copy to build on the hard-drive (input required here)
Take the hard-drive home.
Join the project as me@home using the copy built up on the portable hard-drive.

Anything to avoid getting shaped again! ':evil:'
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
my trick was to take my (home) laptop to work...for that initial sync....

but I agree it is problematic....maybe they'll address it in 14?

(is your surname anderson?)
Anonymous
Not applicable
wait no more - see youtube videos to see this is addressed in AC14 - with a pack and go feature that can (or not) be sync'd remotely if you want... one wish that should have been in AC13...and is now a new feature....!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bring on 14! ...When does it come out?

Thanks rwallis, found the you tube video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xTjmc6BdVk

I'm not an Anderson but I do work with one. Reckon you work at WB by the sound
s of the library maintenance scripts!
Anonymous
Not applicable
nope not @ wb - and the maintenance scripts are irrelevant with (13) 14!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not WB...must be another AC firm with cad-fascist tendencies - or anti cowboy measures depending on your viewpoint.

Still the question remains... would it work if we could get the initial build on a portable hard-drive? Assuming I'm not ready to wait for 14 to come out (did you guys get asked to submit images for the manual?)

work work
Anonymous
Not applicable
not sure how to take the
AC firm with cad-fascist tendencies - or anti cowboy measures depending on your viewpoint
comment....

anyhow to the matter at hand AFAIK you cannot re-path TW in 13 to look in other places (such as your portable hard drive) as it uses a lot of custom files in locations known only to itself!!! This was really such a dumb move I was amazed it was not addressed in a point release (hotfix), and had to wait till the next major release!
Another 'feature' they just added as new in 14 (was in old TW, missing in 13!) is the ability to sign in as a solo user.

old is new

no surprise the level of cynicism is rising in this forum....
Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't worry about the comment, it's meant in good humour (albeit my kind of good humour)
Having been both cow-boy and cad-fascist I can identify with both sides, though now I'm closer to the later. I prefer to think of myself as more 'enlightened-cad-despot'. But it is a title forced upon me by default. I'd rather be designing but I have enough geek in me to want to figure all these things out - I do it to myself, I do and that's what really hurts...

I'm pretty sure TW2 builds the local copy of project data in the user folder under 'Graphisoft'. It seems that I could have a shot at this if I set up a new user on my work pc and then locate the user folder on the portable hard drive (some pc registry editing required ... danger of mucking my system up though). Then log in as the new user and Join the TW2 project. And then do the same on my pc at home - set new user with same name, change windows registry to locate the user folder on the portable drive, plug in portable, log in as the new user and join the TW2 project over the VPN. In theory it could work but it reeks of potential issues.

For the moment everyone who wants to work from home is bringing in their pc's or macs and doing the sync over the network (and they now all wish they had laptops!). Unless it becomes an urgent issue I'll be waiting for V14.

Of course we could try the old save as archive - work from home and then merge files on return ...actually that sounds much safer especially with the smart merge options we now have. We'll see how that works first I think.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Angry wrote:
...I do it to myself, I do and that's what really hurts...
You do it to yourself, just you
you and no-one else