Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

dimension placement offset

__archiben
Booster
currently, placing a dimension entails clicking the relevant points along the model, double clicking (or 'OK') to finish entering the dim points and then clicking with the hammer cursor to define the location of the line.

i would like to be able to define an offset from this last hammer-click to the location of the line:

in typically anally retentive architect fashion i like to have all of my dimension lines the exact same distance from external walls, each other or any element i may dimensioning. this currently involves placing the dim and dragging it to the desired distance (or setting up guide lines first). with the offset method i would be able to click an existing 'reference' line (exterior wall for example) and an eye-ball cursor would then ask me to click which side of that location line my dimension line would be placed . . . all according to an offset value i've specified in the tool settings.

this is much as the auto-dimensioning works now, but provides that kind of placement control in the dimension tool for general (and typical!) use.

one extra step in dimension placement, but a potentially big time saver if, like me, you end up dragging the dim lines around after their placement anyway . . . . of course, specifying an offset value of zero would maintain the current status quo: i.e. no extra step with the last eye-ball click.

what do you think?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Of course you know that you can hover over a reference point, enter "X" dimension, then MINUS then ENTER to offset the dimension line (in this case to the left), eh.
But one less step and one more setting to remember to set wouldn't be so bad I suppose
__archiben
Booster
s2art wrote:
Of course you know that you can hover over a reference point, enter "X" dimension, then MINUS then ENTER to offset the dimension line (in this case to the left), eh.
But one less step and one more setting to remember to set wouldn't be so bad I suppose
yeah - but combining the setting with the dimension tool . . . and therefore favourites . . . provides a foolproof method of getting it right every time.

also, the offset/eye-ball click is way quicker than entering (and calculating) values . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
yeah - but combining the setting with the dimension tool . . . and therefore favourites . . . provides a foolproof method of getting it right every time.
and then you need one for 1:10, 1:20, 1:100 etc. (yes, favorites) as you do with witness line lengths,
~/archiben wrote:
also, the offset/eye-ball click is way quicker than entering (and calculating) values . . .

~/archiben
don't have to calculate, 'cos it's the same as your offset...
Djordje
Ace
~/archiben wrote:
i would like to be able to define an offset from this last hammer-click to the location of the line
Place the hammer on the edge that you want the dimension line a certain distance from, type the relative coordinate, done.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
Place the hammer on the edge that you want the dimension line a certain distance from, type the relative coordinate, done.
Hi Djordje,

Placing the hammer on the edge gives me all coordinates (x, y, r) relative to user origin. Is there a setting somewhere that gives me the ability to relate to the current position of the hammer? That would be useful, especially with the inclined dimensions.

Thank you in advance,
Adrian Tudoreanu

P.S.: I'm using AC12.
Dimensions lines offset.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Howdy,

Sorry to bring up a nearly 3 year old post, but I'm having the same problem.

I would like my dimension lines to be an exact distance from the outer edge of the object I'm dimensioning. When I have the final hammer and it's asking me to determine how far I stretch the dimension line I end up having to click directly on the edge of the object and then drag it a set distance. When I try to type a dimension in it just beeps at me. I feel like there's probably a setting I'm misising...

Any help? I'm on Archicad 16 btw.

Chris
Eduardo Rolon
With the hammer display move the mouse to the reference corner and type (based on direction and if you are using Feet with Fractional inches):
  • X1+ to go one feet to the right of the point

X1-- to go one feet to the left of the point

Y1+ to go one feet to the up of the point

Y1-- to go one feet to the down of the point
and then hit enter.

-----
For metric or for feet with decimal inches you don't need to type - - after the distance.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator