Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Lines in True weight. Rounded tip? or squared?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have this problem when drawing details and I print them they don't look very good because the tips of the lines are rounded on their ends (visible on the screen aswell when you zoom in the tip of a line in trueweight mode). Is there a way to draw with lines that have squared tips?

Thanks,
Lukas
41 REPLIES 41
Petros Ioannou
Contributor
just an example
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Chazz
Enthusiast
Petros, Thanks for the in-depth info. I've never used rapidograph pens (except for the ones in my old pen plotters). I've been a CAD guy since the 80's and have literally (gasp) never drawn by hand. Having an appreciation of the roots (dare I say "the finer points"?) of all this seems that it would be very helpful.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Petros Ioannou
Contributor
Funny thing is that probably you're older than me! (I am 33 and a CAD user since 1993 )
Here in Greece - even today - you have to take (among other)
exams in hand drafting (with pencil and rapidographs) and free-hand sketch drawing before studying architecture at the university.No CAD exams!

Back to our subject I think it would be easy for ArchiCAD to place line width correctly and also use square corner and ends since it recognizes the section of an element. On the other hand I am not a programmer so maybe it is not that easy.

Petros
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you guys for all the tips and tricks! I think I'll just have to live with my rounded tips for now...Have a very good week!
Anonymous
Not applicable
IS THERE A WAY YOU CAN CHANGE THE WAY YOUR LINE ENDS LOOK WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR TRUE LINE WEIGHT ON? MINE SHOW UP AS ROUNDED ENDS, AND WE WOULD LIKE TO SEE THEM AS SQUARE ENDS.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm afraid not, Jess. We are stuck with rounded ends for the time being!

Out of curiosity, in what situations is this causing a problem to you?
Anonymous
Not applicable
THIS IS FROM MY COWORKER WITH THE ISSUE.
Anonymous
Not applicable
AND HERE IS THE OTHER HALF.
Anonymous
Not applicable
That's a good example. I've come across that problem lots of times myself.

I've found a small rectangular fill with a solid white background and no contour lines works fairly well as an alternative, but you do have to pull the edges back so they don't overlap the main lines either side.

If we were working purely in a 2d environment this wouldn't even be a problem, just a quick trim and the rogue line would be gone. But because we are working in a 3d program, little things like this take far too long to sort out, and they don't appear correctly if you save your plans to DWG format for consultants.

I don't know what the solution is, but ArchiCAD needs a better way of dealing with little problem areas like this. Faking stuff with patches, or little white lines and fills just feels wrong for 2010!

Mini rant over!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rant on Peter.
When you rant, (which is so rare and succinct)
the powers that be should listen!
lec